Found the source of my rattling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spiritman

Reaction score
I’ve been dealing with a rattling noise coming from under my Yukon for months. It only makes noise when I drive from 10-20mph. I suspected it was coming from the rear of my truck. I took both wheels off. Everything looked in order. Nothing was loose, brakes and rotors were good. I stopped by Advanced Auto Parts. They said it sounded like something was hitting the drive shaft and to check around there. Lo and behold, this is what I found making the noise.

917b4e9e8e45185f58571caf724f105f.jpg

a6152695f9167a85a6e72f0744175c55.jpg

My u joints didn’t have any play so what should I do with this “ring?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Exactly. That doesn't balance anything if it doesn't spin with the shaft. If you remove the shaft you may be able to just slip it right off. Pics when you do that please.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, now that i looked at it again... thats on the rear, not the driveshaft...almost looks like a collar around the pinion shaft seal...????

you drive over a curb or something, in reverse???

OP
OP
spiritman

spiritman

Reaction score
I got the truck last September so it’s been like these since I got it. I thought it was a loose e brake or something.

Yes, it’s on the rear. I don’t know what purpose it serves but it makes my truck sound raggedy as hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It is a protective sleeve for the edges of the front of the pinion gear housing for the protection of the pinion seal. Let me caution you. It will take a grinder disc to cut off without pulling the shaft and removing the yoke. The yoke removal is no big deal but if reinstalled wrong with too little tension or too much tension, you will damage the pinion bearing. If you take it off it would be best just to cut off with the grinder. You could also tap at 4 equal spots around that ring and bend the sleeve down tight so it does not move and rattle. Use a smaller ball peen hammer.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Naw! Just send the wife or girlfriend out to the dealers till she can come back with them. Just tell her all she has to ask at the parts counter is if they have muffler bearings and she wants some if they do. That should keep her busy for at least half the day. BUT! Be prepared for an ass kickin' when she gets back home. She will be STEAMIN' MAD!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Naw! Just send the wife or girlfriend out to the dealers till she can come back with them. Just tell her all she has to ask at the parts counter is if they have muffler bearings and she wants some if they do. That should keep her busy for at least half the day. BUT! Be prepared for an ass kickin' when she gets back home. She will be STEAMIN' MAD!
And stop by walmart for blinker fluid....:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645