Found the limits of my 4WD Denali with all season tires in snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were up at Mammoth maybe 3 weeks ago. A cabin at Convict Lake Resort to be more precise. The “roads” along the cabins really put the 4WD to the test. Since there was no ice, the all seasons performed fine. On one of the trips into Mammoth, we went to Twin Lakes which was ice city. I just kept it under 20mph and came out the other end. We never broke loose accelerating, but stopping was horrific if you needed to stop fast.

For whomever asked, I use AWD when traction is good and light snow conditions, 4WD when it’s all snow and or ice.
That’s awesome! I get over to twin lakes when we go out of bounds off the backside of the gondola, and snowboard over to hole in the wall. It drops us out at twin lakes and tamarack ski lodge. Lol. Fortunately I don’t have to drive there. I can hop on a shuttle back to main lodge. I didn’t have any problems driving around the main parts of mammoth two weeks ago in the snow. But I stay at mammoth mountain inn, Because I get an employee rate for rooms since mammoth mountain is part of the network that owns my home resort. So when I’m there my truck stays parked and I take a shuttle if I need to go into town and let the shuttle drivers handle the ice and snow!
He was asking why you said AWD and 4WD. Technically you don’t have all wheel drive in your rig. You have an auto 4WD, which is similar. But not a true AWD.

OP
OP
B

Boatguy

Reaction score
That’s awesome! I get over to twin lakes when we go out of bounds off the backside of the gondola, and snowboard over to hole in the wall. It drops us out at twin lakes and tamarack ski lodge. Lol. Fortunately I don’t have to drive there. I can hop on a shuttle back to main lodge. I didn’t have any problems driving around the main parts of mammoth two weeks ago in the snow. But I stay at mammoth mountain inn, Because I get an employee rate for rooms since mammoth mountain is part of the network that owns my home resort. So when I’m there my truck stays parked and I take a shuttle if I need to go into town and let the shuttle drivers handle the ice and snow!
He was asking why you said AWD and 4WD. Technically you don’t have all wheel drive in your rig. You have an auto 4WD, which is similar. But not a true AWD.

Ya, I should have been more precise and said Auto. I just figured people knew what I meant.

Looks like Big Bear May be done with snow for the season. These damn ARs are good for copious amounts of rain but suck when it comes to snow. All I see is rain in the forecast.

We are just finishing up a three day AR here at Donner Pass but since we have the altitude, we got snow. LOTS of snow.

1D4B2828-2CF8-4DF8-B2C8-6373FC667AD5.jpeg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I should have been more precise and said Auto. I just figured people knew what I meant.

Looks like Big Bear May be done with snow for the season. These damn ARs are good for copious amounts of rain but suck when it comes to snow. All I see is rain in the forecast.

We are just finishing up a three day AR here at Donner Pass but since we have the altitude, we got snow. LOTS of snow.

View attachment 217571
I knew what you meant hahahah.
Long term forecasts show we might get some snow mid March. We shall see. But we had a good amount of snow this winter which makes this snowboarder happy haha.

OP
OP
B

Boatguy

Reaction score
I knew what you meant hahahah.
Long term forecasts show we might get some snow mid March. We shall see. But we had a good amount of snow this winter which makes this snowboarder happy haha.

I’m hoping for a March Miracle with you cause we’d like to do a local snow trip for a change. Ma Nature was kind and only gave us 8-10 inches last night which means I can just drive out without digging. Between the cabin and car, I must have shoveled a couple tons of snow this trip. There’s something to be said for condos at Mammoth for the big dumps—especially the ones with garages.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping for a March Miracle with you cause we’d like to do a local snow trip for a change. Ma Nature was kind and only gave us 8-10 inches last night which means I can just drive out without digging. Between the cabin and car, I must have shoveled a couple tons of snow this trip. There’s something to be said for condos at Mammoth for the big dumps—especially the ones with garages.
Yeah those garages are so worth it up there!!

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 217571

Beautiful pics. I love the snow! Didn't get to see any this past winter. Definitely going to the coming winter. Thanks for Sharing

OP
OP
B

Boatguy

Reaction score
We got home from Donner last night. A 7.5 hour drive in this Denali feels like a three hour drive. LOVE this vehicle for road trips.

I just wish the ACC didn’t drive like a douche—tailgate, then drop 2 or 3 gears and go WOT when the poor bastard in front of me gets out of the way. It’s been to the dealer twice for this and they say it’s “in spec”.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got home from Donner last night. A 7.5 hour drive in this Denali feels like a three hour drive. LOVE this vehicle for road trips.

I just wish the ACC didn’t drive like a douche—tailgate, then drop 2 or 3 gears and go WOT when the poor bastard in front of me gets out of the way. It’s been to the dealer twice for this and they say it’s “in spec”.
Definitely agree! Denalis are MADE for road trips! Lol

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Acc drives like a douche.....lmfao.... true tho

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I despise the ACC. I wish you could turn that shit off like I can on my wifes car. Mine slams on the brakes when going around a curve, if a car is in the opposite lane. Mine also kicks down like I'm passing someone when the slower car moves over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts