Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
I was kinda thinking that but wasn't sure @kwOH thanks bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think there is somewhere u can order the nnbs calipers and they come with the brackets too, don't quote me on that but i think thats what ive heard, then just get the nnbs rotors, idk if u can do it without changing the brake lines or not. Im also interested in doing this as soon as my front brakes need changed.

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Best part is it's 100% straight bolt on. If it wasn't I wouldn't even think about a brake upgrade.

I'm actually gonna find a decent used oem set at the salvage yard off a nnbs for dirt cheap. Brackets and calipers . Clean them up then powder coat or paint them. Find rotors with life left and just get them turned.
Then spend money on new steel braided lines and new pads

DDenali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best part is it's 100% straight bolt on. If it wasn't I wouldn't even think about a brake upgrade.

I'm actually gonna find a decent used oem set at the salvage yard off a nnbs for dirt cheap. Brackets and calipers . Clean them up then powder coat or paint them. Find rotors with life left and just get them turned.
Then spend money on new steel braided lines and new pads
Any suggestion on stainless braided brake hose kits. I'm thinking about just upgrading just the front since the tears are dual piston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@kwOH @05Single @jerryjoe28 @DDenali Maybe @Red Rocket @ScottyBoy @Pachanga02 will chime in as they have done this upgrade if I remember correctly.

Ok guys here are a couple threads on this subject. NNBS upgrade, SS brake lines, hydroboost, minimum 17" wheels for clearance. Lots of good info, even a few old posts, but the first thread is the newest.

07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/07-brake-upgrade-on-a-00-06-nbs-is-it-worth-it.81497/

StopTech SS braided brake hoses
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/stoptech-ss-braided-brake-hoses.89761/

NNBS Brake Upgrade
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/nnbs-brake-upgrade.53780/

Brake upgrade??
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/brake-upgrade.44614/page-2#post-566518

Pachanga02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done the braided lines upgrade yet. I can say this though the 07+ upgrade is noticeable on stock wheels. When I did it I had my stock 17" denali wheels and the upgrade barely cleared them, I got rid of the stock spare and bought a 20" denali wheel and 22" escalade wheel. Right now I have the 20" under there and when I run the esky wheels I switch to the esky spare. The lines I'd like to do eventually. @Fosscore

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops I forgot the hydroboost . I'll need to look into that too.
THIS gives the brakes a more progressive feel meaning the harder you press the more bite u get. I didn't have that with vacuum assist brakes and it was kinda scary at times.

I wonder how much difference there is in a BBK with vacuum vs hydro boost and nnbs upgrade. I doubt it's worth the difference in price..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
@Fosscore well ive been reading on this idea all morning lol. after looking at the thread you shared on painting I noticed tony said he used the slotted only R1s. is there any advantage or disadvantage to going with drilled and slotted, or is it just because they look good? also did you look into the R1s?

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did look at the R1s, but think I went with the PS setup due to price, compatibility and having all the pieces together in one kit, if you will. I was looking for convenience and after reading many threads, there were so many combinations of pads/rotors and opinions on drilled/slotted too. You know how it goes, even on the TYF, every one has a thought and there rarely is a straight line vote, even on something as a brake pad. That's what makes this forum so great, but also sometimes hard to make a decision as there are so many products and options out there and first hand, real world reviews from members using them every day.

I liked the way they looked. They still look great and after a fresh coat of paint last month, they look good again as do the calipers, even though they are OEM from 2006. Do they give me any more performance advantage over a solid rotor? Probably not. Again my setup does not stop on a dime. Hard to remember it running on 16s to tell you the truth and whether it ever did stop that hard.

I'm sure the 24s don't help, but neither does 3 tons of Tahoe barreling down the road. I wish it did, but I do have comfort knowing that my pads and rotors were new and coupled with the lower center of gravity and new shocks with the drop, I did make some improvements in that department that should help overall.

Put it this way, no matter which way you go with the brakes upgrade to NNBS or just replacing what you have, it will be new. New on an older truck will still be a win, because it is new, even if all the components around it are not. Just my thoughts on that question.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
I did look at the R1s, but think I went with the PS setup due to price, compatibility and having all the pieces together in one kit, if you will. I was looking for convenience and after reading many threads, there were so many combinations of pads/rotors and opinions on drilled/slotted too. You know how it goes, even on the TYF, every one has a thought and there rarely is a straight line vote, even on something as a brake pad. That's what makes this forum so great, but also sometimes hard to make a decision as there are so many products and options out there and first hand, real world reviews from members using them every day.

I liked the way they looked. They still look great and after a fresh coat of paint last month, they look good again as do the calipers, even though they are OEM from 2006. Do they give me any more performance advantage over a solid rotor? Probably not. Again my setup does not stop on a dime. Hard to remember it running on 16s to tell you the truth and whether it ever did stop that hard.

I'm sure the 24s don't help, but neither does 3 tons of Tahoe barreling down the road. I wish it did, but I do have comfort knowing that my pads and rotors were new and coupled with the lower center of gravity and new shocks with the drop, I did make some improvements in that department that should help overall.

Put it this way, no matter which way you go with the brakes upgrade to NNBS or just replacing what you have, it will be new. New on an older truck will still be a win, because it is new, even if all the components around it are not. Just my thoughts on that question.

lol thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts out there on the subject. I think im going to pass on the nnbs brake swap but u never know with me. I like the idea of using a kit (R1 and PS both have a complete kit) I guess now I just need to decide if I want drill and slotted or just slotted :emotions122:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roflwaffle

Latest posts