FORD Dealer says "Waiting on Previous Owner/Lender" - 2021 GMC Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tagexpcom

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - no title yet.

Finally got someone at the dealership to talk to me every 2 weeks on the title. This vehicle is from CA Hertz and sold by OR dealer. The latest (today) is the title was lost in shipment and never arrived at the dealership. They said Hertz has agreed to do an expedited CA Lost Title Application - 4-6weeks and resend to the dealer and they are paying to help things along.

They have agreed to issue a new 90day temp registration coming up in a couple of weeks.

The fact that they are talking to me and sharing updates makes me feel like patience (rather than being difficult) is my best bet.

Time will tell....

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - no title yet.

Finally got someone at the dealership to talk to me every 2 weeks on the title. This vehicle is from CA Hertz and sold by OR dealer. The latest (today) is the title was lost in shipment and never arrived at the dealership. They said Hertz has agreed to do an expedited CA Lost Title Application - 4-6weeks and resend to the dealer and they are paying to help things along.

They have agreed to issue a new 90day temp registration coming up in a couple of weeks.

The fact that they are talking to me and sharing updates makes me feel like patience (rather than being difficult) is my best bet.

Time will tell....
Sounds like it is the only option...if the title is truly lost, there is no way to transfer ownership short of the owner getting a dupllicate then providing...

Still feels a bit shady that the delaer sold it without clear title in hand...but at this point, I'd keep a copy of the bill of sale in the glove box just in case.

OP
OP
tagexpcom

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is the only option...if the title is truly lost, there is no way to transfer ownership short of the owner getting a dupllicate then providing...

Still feels a bit shady that the delaer sold it without clear title in hand...but at this point, I'd keep a copy of the bill of sale in the glove box just in case.
Yes sir, I have copies of all the paperwork in the glove box and originals in my files. The most relevant thing is the paperwork they signed says the deal must comply with State Law and State Law is clear that the deal is not valid if there's no title.

However, I don't see where I loose rights to take legal action by being patient for 3 or 4 or 5 months - so as you say, it's seems like my best option at this point as I really like the rig - flawless operation after 1500 miles.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might even be something like a state lein against the title (which the dealer won't pay). Most states will not release until that is paid. Many auction vehicles sold that way.
Might even be good for you as you get free use for 90 days! I wouldn't try to use it beyond that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes getting a title takes some time, yes there are laws on how long the dealer has to submit the paperwork before being subject to fines and or loss of there dealer license.
some drag there feet, sometimes there are other glitches beyond there control.
(laws may vary from state to state) but generally anyone including a dealer can sell a vehicle with a simple bill of sale, there is nothing against the law in doing that.
sometimes vehicles get sold 2-3 times before a title even shows up in the mail, again nothing illegal about that.
I could go buy a car today and sell it today with nothing more than a bill of sale and transfer of ownership filled out, the buyer could turn around and do the same. all perfectly legal.
the only catch being the transfer of ownership, if it is in my name and I do not do the transfer of ownership then technically I could be liable if it was in a accident or got a parking ticket, etc, etc,
if it is stolen then eventually that comes out in the wash.
my guess is, eventually the title will show up, you have nothing to worry about unless you are trying to make a placard to hang on the wall for your great achievement! or plan to export it to another country or some other legal reason.
here in California it is normal for a title to take 3-6 weeks to even show up direct from dmv after all the paperwork has been filed and all fees paid. they don't just print it out and hand it to you.

"google: can a vehicle dealer in california sell a vehicle without a title?"
Yes, a dealership in California can sell your car without a title under certain circumstances. However, it is important to note that this process can be complicated and may require additional steps to ensure a smooth transaction. In California, a car's title serves as legal proof of ownership.

OP
OP
tagexpcom

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update....
1) The dealer contact has taken my calls 2 times now and provided status updates.
2) They mailed a 2nd 90-day temp certificate that went on the car today.

They're waiting on a CA title replacement (for the lost-in-the-mail title) and the title should show up at the Oregon dealer within a month.

Having someone that takes my calls really helps and I'm hopeful at this point.

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update....
1) The dealer contact has taken my calls 2 times now and provided status updates.
2) They mailed a 2nd 90-day temp certificate that went on the car today.

They're waiting on a CA title replacement (for the lost-in-the-mail title) and the title should show up at the Oregon dealer within a month.

Having someone that takes my calls really helps and I'm hopeful at this point.

Yea i suppose. But seems like THEY would be calling YOU. Best of luck, seems like it should all work out, just gotta play the waiting game.

OP
OP
tagexpcom

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Yesterday, they say they got the CA replacement title from Hertz, then signed off by the bank, and is finally ready to go to DMV in the next batch. Apparently they submit to DMV in chunks every 2 weeks. DMV is estimated to be 2-4 weeks. This puts 4-6 week timeframe to see the title/plates - hopefully no later than Jan 12, 2024.

This would make it 6 months from payment to ownership. Extremely disappointing (another example of all the skirting of the law going on these days) and a bit scary as there doesn't seem to be any practical recourse. Complaints, nastiness, and/or lawyers doesn't seem like it would get me the title any faster from a large company like this.

At least patience, being nice is getting me good status (peace of mind) and the vehicle is performing 100%, no issues and all works flawlessly and we never intended on flipping/selling immediately. LOVE the rig - really nice!

Lesson for me - I'll never buy another vehicle without the title 'on hand' - from anyone - and I'll want to see it physically as part of handing over $.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tagexpcom

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
License Plates delivered by USPS late last night - which takes the edge off for us! However, the title and registration are not yet in our hands. This piece of paper came with the plates....
1704125406293.png
has correct ownership info in this section...
1704124360230.png

Progress, but still no title or registration and the paperwork (above) says 6-8 more weeks?!

Just did an info check on Oregon DMV and while it shows our other vehicles, the Yukon isn't listed yet.

At least the dealership seems to have been providing accurate status on their end.

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, not all said and done yet, but still a step in the right direction. Looking promising anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog