For Those with Aftermarket Camshafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a dod delete cam this spring.. Retaining VVT. The specs are in my Signature.
I'm still learning and tweaking the HP Tuners to get it to behave at idle...
But my question is: Did your new cam make your exhaust a lot louder ????

My Yukon now sounds like a cammed up racecar... It's very choppy and very noticeably louder
than with the stock camshaft.. Seems a little weird to me that the noise level is so much higher.
I have the kooks headers and cats with the rest being the stock 3.5" 6.2 denali single exhaust

I do have a magnaflow exhaust that I purchased last year, but I'm afraid it would be way too loud now

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... in my understanding, an LSA of 113 is going to be hard to get to a smooth idle. My 3-bolt Cam Motion Stage 2 truck cam in my L94 engine is no louder than stock and idles *almost* as smooth as stock. Here are the specs:

212/220 duration @.050", .553"/.553” lift, 117 degree LSA + 5, 112 IC
Cam Motion Grind No. is XA212-325/220-325/117+5

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... in my understanding, an LSA of 113 is going to be hard to get to a smooth idle. My 3-bolt Cam Motion Stage 2 truck cam in my L94 engine is no louder than stock and idles *almost* as smooth as stock. Here are the specs:

212/220 duration @.050", .553"/.553” lift, 117 degree LSA + 5, 112 IC
Cam Motion Grind No. is XA212-325/220-325/117+5
That must be the difference then... figured the 113*+8 would be a pretty mild cam. I'll go find
my actual cam card and find the IC* and report back

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still learning and tweaking the HP Tuners to get it to behave at idle...
But my question is: Did your new cam make your exhaust a lot louder ????
Did you post videos for us to listen to yet? LOL

113 is tight for an LS motor, makes for a choppy idle that most folks want to hear.

Other than that, how do you like that cam? Thinking about that one for the Sierra someday.

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to cam card:
Intake Centerline is 105.0*
Exhaust Centerline 121.0*

So lobe sep is 113* with 8* of intake cam advance ground into it

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a post by a guy called Thunderstruck on the PerformanceTrucks forums and he was using HPTuners to make the idle sound choppy on his and mentioned that it could be used to smooth it out as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been jacking around with the HPT for 2-3 weeks straight, trying to smooth out
my idle.. It runs pretty strong (i think).. But it's really rough/choppy under 1000 rpms.
I have to bring idle up to 800 for it to really idle OK..
Remember, I took off the EForce supercharger and installed this cam and put
the intake/etc all back to stock.. So it's def lost a little power... But i'm trying to
maximize fuel MPG, esp while towing.
I haven't towed yet with the cam install, so I don't MPG yet...
At interstate speeds on a long (1400 mile) trip 2 weeks ago, I averaged between
14.5-16.5 mpg.. which is down from bone stock from what I remember being
about 17-18 with DOD and about 17 with DOD disabled.

Maybe??? Just maybe I installed the cam 1 tooth off on the timing chain mark???

This cam is "supposed" to be the stage 1 truck cam for towing.. No headers or stall needed..
So I'm just a little confused why this thing is so lumpy

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This cam is "supposed" to be the stage 1 truck cam for towing.. No headers or stall needed..
So I'm just a little confused why this thing is so lumpy
I texted briefly with a guy in Canada with that camshaft, he loves it and said it made good power. He said, "nice idle that you know is there but not crazy". He tweaked it with HP Tuners as well.

Maybe send Gwatney a video of it idling?

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I texted briefly with a guy in Canada with that camshaft, he loves it and said it made good power. He said, "nice idle that you know is there but not crazy". He tweaked it with HP Tuners as well.

Maybe send Gwatney a video of it idling?
I'll give gwatney a call for sure... Yeah it's very different idle so maybe it's just the tune
I've been on the HPT forums and such and gotten it better than the crappy tune I paid $$ for,
but not nearly where I thought it would be... Thanks for the suggestions

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you post videos for us to listen to yet? LOL

113 is tight for an LS motor, makes for a choppy idle that most folks want to hear.

Other than that, how do you like that cam? Thinking about that one for the Sierra someday.
I suck at trying to post videos and pics... The one app that I used for this website went
to crap a while ago.. And my smart phone is old enough that it isn't smart anymore... Maybe
one of my kids can help me !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907