Foggy Fog light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beav626

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my fog light housings a little over a year ago with oem ones.

2 weeks ago it rained here in OKC and they got wet. one of them is still foggy inside and wont dry up.

My question is can I remove the glass lens and reseal it or do I need to get another new housing?

Is there a way to remove and replace the lens?

Thank you

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take the housing off and let it dry out indoors. Once it's totally dry inside, seal around the lens with silicon and maybe a little around where the bulb sits too.

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow what chauncey stated that should work for you. In one of my dads cars years ago had the same issue but with the headlight. We ended up drilling a small hole on the underneath of the headlight housing that let the water drain and that actually worked. Of course the hole was small.

Reaction score
i took the mine apart and resealed them with epoxy and silicone.never fell apart but during big rain storms i still get that foggy look ur talking about

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow what chauncey stated that should work for you. In one of my dads cars years ago had the same issue but with the headlight. We ended up drilling a small hole on the underneath of the headlight housing that let the water drain and that actually worked. Of course the hole was small.

+1

I think the design of that fog light is just crappy, regardless if you by OEM or Aftermarket. I as well drilled the small hole on the bottom of the light. Of course water does get in, but it will dry out fairly quickly.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Most headlights are designed to breath nowadays, so if they get moisture in them they eventually dry out. The fogs are too small for that. Mine were never 100% sealed at the bulb, so I was constantly getting water in my first set. I mean a lot of water sometimes....there'd be 3/4" standing inside the light. Did the tiny hole on bottom and sealed the bulb better, which helped.

Take them off and thoroughly dry them. You don't need to take them apart for this, just a couple days inside or a few hours in an oven on a low-low temp.

As a side note, one way to tell if your aftermarket headlights are total crap is whether or not they have a snorkel and breathing hole on them. The "hole" is actually covered by a goretex patch that breathes and the snorkel is a small tube, usually inverted so water can't get in, that lets fresh air in. When you run your lights, the heat should cause a convection current which will eventually dry them out. If your fancy new LED and halo aftermarket lights don't have either of those things, they probably suck....lol.

OP
OP
B

beav626

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some new ones (Got a clean look now) and they were $35 shipped

Sealed them with silicone and if the get some moisture in them I will drill a small home in them later.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65