Flushing coolant system. Best way?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never flushed the coolant on my 08 6.2 Denali since I’ve owned it (5.5 years). Recently the heater hoses busted off and dumped a ton on the ground. I’m going to replace them and the upper/lower rad hoses and thermostat. Do I need to totally drain every last ounce of coolant out or can I just drain the lower hose and add new fluid? If I have to flush the entire system, what’s the best way to do it?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never flushed the coolant on my 08 6.2 Denali since I’ve owned it (5.5 years). Recently the heater hoses busted off and dumped a ton on the ground. I’m going to replace them and the upper/lower rad hoses and thermostat. Do I need to totally drain every last ounce of coolant out or can I just drain the lower hose and add new fluid? If I have to flush the entire system, what’s the best way to do it?
the best way is to let the dealer do it simply because they use a machine that vacuums the entire system out,
other than that just doing it yourself then park it on a slight incline with the nose down or jack up the rear a little, pull the lower radiator hose let drain out, replace the hose and point it nose up a little or jack up the front a little and refill with 50/50 mix. doing this allows all the air out.
my personal recommendation would be to also fill it with water a few times to push all the old coolant out, I also normally throw some radiator flush & water in it as well and drive it a couple days then flush it again.
others may have a different method.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfacemoon2212