Flowmaster? Magnaflow? Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need advice on an new muffler for my 2004 Tahoe Lt 4X4 (5.3L)
I heard that for the "best" sound and slight performance upgrade to a 40 series flow-master. Is this true? I see that I can order them for about $70ish shipped on eBay. Do you know what one I would have to order (off-set)? Also id flow-master the best "bang for the buck"? What one would sound that would be loud, but also not annoying loud? Also, what price shoudl I expect a shop to charge to install it? Just a ball-park price so I know I'm not getting ripped off, (I'm in Western MA)

Only mods I have
-CIA (eBay deal), Just put a K&N filter on it
-superchips flashpaq tuner 2815 performance upgrade
-Corvette Servo (soon, not yet installed)

Thanks!:)

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
i have had a 40 series fm on an extended cab nbs truck and the in cab drone was horrific! i changed to a magnaflow stainless muffler 22 or 28" long i think and the cab drone was nearly gone except at wot. don't remember what offset is needed. i bought both of mine used on forums so not sure if my pricing would be relevent.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
i have had a 40 series fm on an extended cab nbs truck and the in cab drone was horrific! i changed to a magnaflow stainless muffler 22 or 28" long i think and the cab drone was nearly gone except at wot. don't remember what offset is needed. i bought both of mine used on forums so not sure if my pricing would be relevent.

What was install price?

I'm also a "kid" 19 haha so noise is something i prefer. I have 2 Alpine Type R 12's and there is usually never a time(except with the girl friend) that my music isnt 80-100% haha

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me on this one, if you need to turn the stereo down when the girlfriend is in the car, you do NOT want a FM40. I had one in my Jeep, and this was with the 4.0L I6. On startup, it was kinda cool - people thought I had a V8 in there. BUT the drone at highway speed was enough to make people not want to ride in the truck, girlfriend included. I switched out to a Gibson, much better on the drone, but it still growls at startup.

brndns_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting one too....what about the Flowmaster 50 series? any better on the drone?

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting one too....what about the Flowmaster 50 series? any better on the drone?

Flowmaster mufflers have a spot welded and chambered design. The chambers is for the sound and spot weld is where the drone comes from. With FM I don't think it's a matter of IF they will drone, it's a matter of WHEN.

B

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used ( in various cars) 40, Super 40, Delta 40, 50 series, 80 series,..for mild tone, get the 50 series.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
I have a 50 series true duel. It drones at 2000 rpm. above its an awesome sound, below its quiet that just a bit of radio can get rid of the noise. I find it stops me from speeding on the freeway and I do 65 instead of 75. My vids are on a stick in the 00-06 forum.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I love my flowmaster with longtubes, quiet until I'm 50% throttle and zero drone on the highway. Corsa makes the best system if you can afford it.

Mr.Martin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a super 40 flowmaster with stock manifolds and it didn't seem loud. Now I have LT's, no cats, super 44 w/ turn downs and it's not bad...for me. I like loud but I don't think it's agravating. Only thing I don't like is I'm losing my deep tone in the higher rpms, it reminds me of the the foxbody mustangs now above 3-4k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts