Fixing the Famous *CLUNK* Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new slip yoke and u-joint arrived from Fort Wayne Clutch. Picking up the new tail shaft this afternoon. Question. What is the procedure to attach the u-joint to the yoke and driveshaft?

IMG_3144_zps4e342a5a.jpg

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The caps should slide off. You may feel some pressure, its more than likely the grease inside has caused a suction.
After the caps are removed, slide one end up into one hole of the yoke and the other should fall right into place.
You'll need a press to install the caps, some people use a large C-clamp or vise or they beat them in with bfh. And finally, put the lock rings in place.

Make sure there's plenty of grease inside the caps when you re-install them.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The caps should slide off. You may feel some pressure, its more than likely the grease inside has caused a suction.
After the caps are removed, slide one end up into one hole of the yoke and the other should fall right into place.
You'll need a press to install the caps, some people use a large C-clamp or vise or they beat them in with bfh. And finally, put the lock rings in place.

Make sure there's plenty of grease inside the caps when you re-install them.

Any particular kind of grease?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearing grease should be fine.
Is there a zerk fitting on the u-joint?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No zerk fitting.

OK, when you pop those caps off, put a little grease inside before putting the caps back on. They usually come with some grease in them but, a little more wont hurt anything.

Are the u-joints the heavy duty ones?

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, when you pop those caps off, put a little grease inside before putting the caps back on. They usually come with some grease in them but, a little more wont hurt anything.

Are the u-joints the heavy duty ones?

Not sure. It was included with the slip yoke from Fort Wayne Clutch. Pictured below. Should I replace the u-joint on the backend of the dirveshaft as well?

Here is a link to the u-joint they sent me.

http://www.fortwayneclutch.com/inde...niversal-joint-made-by-aam-pn-s-12479126.html

IMG_3144_zps4e342a5a.jpg

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. It was included with the slip yoke from Fort Wayne Clutch. Pictured below. Should I replace the u-joint on the backend of the dirveshaft as well?

Here is a link to the u-joint they sent me.

http://www.fortwayneclutch.com/inde...niversal-joint-made-by-aam-pn-s-12479126.html

IMG_3144_zps4e342a5a.jpg

You can, its up to you. Check its condition and make that your deciding factor. I did both of mine at the same time only because I took my driveshaft off and brought it to a shop to do the work.

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when I take off the trans tail housing, a lot of transmission fluid is going to come out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne