Fixing the Famous *CLUNK* Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I go over a speed bump, I get the *CLUNK* noise from the back end. I get the same *CLUNK* when I come to a stop and then let my foot off the brake pedal.

I have read several different things people have done:

1. Remove slip yoke and apply some special grease
  2. Replace the slip yoke with a nickel plated slip yoke
  3. Pull drivetrain and stuff a raquetball in the yoke

I would like to fix this annoyance the right way and looking for a good solution. :emotions133:

Last edited:

Yukancount

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Although entertaining, i'd probably pass on option #3 but have seen it performed...

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This clunk typically doesn't happen going over speed bumps. You may have another issue lurking.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at the dealer about 1 year ago for an oil change and mentioned the noise to those goofballs. The service lady said they greased the drive train and charged me $200. That almost made the noise disappear, but you can tell that it's now as noticeable as it was before.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

So maybe these are 2 different problems and noises.

Problem 1: A bump after stopping and letting off the brake.

Problem 2: Going over speed bumps, I hear which may be better explained as 2 metal pieces rubbing back and forth.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I go over a speed bump, I get the *CLUNK* noise from the back end. I get the same *CLUNK* when I come to a stop and then let my foot off the brake pedal.

I have read several different things people have done:

1. Remove slip yoke and apply some special grease
  2. Replace the slip yoke with a nickel plated slip yoke
  3. Pull drivetrain and stuff a raquetball in the yoke

I would like to fix this annoyance the right way and looking for a good solution. :emotions133:

Special grease?
I have inquired about these nickel plated yokes and have yet to actually find one. They don't seem to exist at any dealer or GMPartsDirect.
Temp fix, I think its supposed to be a half of a racquet ball.

If it is in fact the all so famous driveshaft clunk.
The right way, email gmpartsdirect, give them your vin# ask for a yoke, u-joints and a tail shaft housing with bushing. They will give you the part numbers specific to your vehicle for each part.

First, find out what's actually wrong:)
Might want to check all your bushings to start, for that metal on metal noise.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May try replacing the sway bar end links and the rubber bushings that mount the sway bar to the frame.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

I called the dealer to inquire about a new slip yoke. They quoted me $319. Wow.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nickle one is 100. I'll find and post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was searching for the nickel plated one, but couldn't find. Dealer gave me the part number for the slip yoke based on my VIN. Part number 7848635

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was searching for the nickel plated one, but couldn't find. Dealer gave me the part number for the slip yoke based on my VIN. Part number 7848635

That's the same one I got.
I also got the tail shaft housing with bushing = 24241496
& u-joints = 23104840.

Doing this eliminated the clunk for me.

What a lot of people seem to neglect with the clunk is the bushing in the tail shaft housing does wear over time.

I like the price of the nickel plated one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu