Fixed my HVAC Recirc servo (also fixed AC problem)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 Tahoe - and for a while now my Recirc function has not worked on my HVAC. If you push the button when the A/C is on, it never blew harder or got colder. Also when the fan is OFF, vents were selected to the dash or panel you should be able to cut off ALL airflow coming from the vents if you push the Re-circ button.. Mine didn't do that either.

Everyone complains about the HOT air, and that its the blend door servo - Even the guy at the dealer said, are you sure its not the blend door servo - as thats the common one.

I looked up how to change it on line and came up with squat.. SO I went in and did it with hopes this was my problem.

If you open the glove box, and pull down the door all the way (hold in the 2 tabs on the sides that act as the stop and it will hyper extend.) If you look behind there - you will see a foam looking door behind a plastic grid .. When you oush the RECIRC button that damper should move forward and back. mine didn't.

So to replace...
Take off the passenger side vents (just pop out) - Take off the pass "oh shit handle" if you reach in from the vents you will see a white "button" to hold and the handle just pulls out.
remove all the hex head screws around the top dash panel (2 Phillips on each side where door closes too (driver + pass)

That whole top dash then pulls out.

I took airbag out to make it easier too. (disconnect battery) Un-plug yellow wire and there are a total of 4 bolts , 2 on bottom, and 2 on back.

There are 2 or 3 5.5mm bolts that hold this new servo on. Also keep in mind when you put the new one on - be sure to align the damper shaft into the part, don't twist the servo on the new part at all you will damage it.

See pics for detail

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 183

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my blend door servo (actuator) last month, mine was ticing and once it got stuck and blew hot air. A lot easier than the recirc servo, hope mine doesn't go.

OP
OP
bkboatnsleds

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping mine was the blend door too - but this was for sure the problem and its SO nice now being able to get cold AC, and actually close the vents 100% from letting outside air in.

beav626

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get that airbag out... I got the two bottom bolts out but I don't see any in the back.

Even then I can see past that to the actuator...

OP
OP
bkboatnsleds

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bolts total - two on top, 2 on bottom.. yes even with that out it is still difficult to get in there. Most all of is done by feel and 1/4" ratchets.. That air duct up top that runs across the dash can be loosened to lift it up and out of the way... This is NOT EASY to get to by any stretch of the imagination lol.. lots of "seeing with your hands"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz