First time GM owner Suburban 2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a CVPI. It was a fun car to drive. The 4.6 Panther was the only good Ford ever built. Sold it to a 16 year old for 1500 bucks with 300K miles on it. I would have kept it for a second vehicle if insurance was not so high in South Florida.

The only good replacement for the CVPI is the PPV Tahoe. Some police agencies in Broward County went directly from the CVPI to the PPV Tahoe back around 2011-2012 and are sticking with the PPV Tahoe.

I respectfully disagree. Having had a CVPI and been in an Ford Explorer based Police Interceptor Utility for fire and rescue, I can tell you that the police interceptor utility is far better and more versatile than the CVPI.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only good replacement for the CVPI is the PPV Tahoe.

Having had a CVPI and been in an Ford Explorer based Police Interceptor Utility for fire and rescue, I can tell you that the police interceptor utility is far better and more versatile than the CVPI.

The FPIU is a very good patrol vehicle and offers utility over and above what the CVPI offered, but my first two tried to kill me with exhaust gasses and were never as comfortable for spending 8+ hours a day in as the CVPI was/is. The non-turbo V6 offerings are meh (if I'm going to go slow at least give me the SOUND of a V8) and the turbo engine is prone to trouble. The 2020 is an improvement but will never be what the CVPI was, and that's OK as long as you're not expecting it to be. It's not a bad vehicle at all, overall.

The Tahoe is roomier, faster and despite it's size makes for a decent around town patrol vehicle, only making you notice it's how bulky it is every so often. The Tahoe is a good 10K more expensive than any of the other alternatives, but reliability is excellent. It's good at what it does but it's not practical. Great for highway patrol type stuff (and bigger state budgets).

The Charger is a rocketship but reliability is horrible. Not as comfortable as the CVPI or Tahoe. Roomier than the Explorer but harder to get in and out of. Visibility lacks. Decent car (especially the AWD version) but only does a few things well at the expense of others, whereas the CVPI did most everything well.

The Durango is actually a pretty good option lately, especially since 2020 (or 2021) will see a pursuit version with steel wheels and a HEMI (reliability problems?). It's larger and more comfortable than the FPIU yet not as cumbersome as a Tahoe so it works well in daily patrol settings. Price is lower than the Tahoe and on par with other options. Overall reliability is better than the Charger because the Durango platform (Mercedes based since 2011) is VERY well sorted out and tough. I think you may see the Durango really catch on soon.

Each of the current cop offerings has it's shortcomings and it's advantages. I would not say any of them is the "only" good replacement - none of them do what it did. I think most on the job the vehicle is intended for (not fire/rescue) will tell you that the CVPI was the jack of all trades and will never be suitably replaced.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I selected that FPIU based upon versatility, ala-carte safety options and price. I needed something to get me from point A to point B that was durable and well priced after unfitting. The FPIU was $34K including upfit costs. A Tahoe or Suburban would have been at least $40K just for the vehicle. And, a sedan was not practical for our needs.

At the time of my purchase, the choices were a Suburban/Tahoe, FPIU, Taurus Police Interceptor and a Dodge Charger.

tc5535

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Suggestion if your going to expect a lot from them I’d have studs put in them in Montana had them on a 1 ton they were only ok on fresh snow ice or packed snow nope until I had studs pit in then it was a snow beast duratrac’s are all ready for studs - good luck !

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Suggestion if your going to expect a lot from them I’d have studs put in them in Montana had them on a 1 ton they were only ok on fresh snow ice or packed snow nope until I had studs pit in then it was a snow beast duratrac’s are all ready for studs - good luck !
I am begging you, please, use periods or anything to break up the sentences so they can be understood. Very confusing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts