First real distance drive...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, not really that far but we took a little 2 hour freeway trip up to Portland today. I was really impressed with this thing's freeway manners. The adaptive cruise works very well and I averaged 23mpg for the day, including the trip home from Costco to get gas!

I'm sure it won't be quite that stellar when I set the cruise higher than 65 but it's still a damn sight better than my 2012 3/4ton.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417227275.107802.jpg

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats flat out amazing considering the size of the rig and the size and power of the motor.

OP
OP
L

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was amazed that it could stay in V4 mode most of the time.

OP
OP
L

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is. There's a few sections around Salem and just getting into Portland where all the cylinders were needed.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's nice! About the v4 mode it does seem that GM has improved that feature in this generation in both the SUV and truck sector. My dad has a '14 silverado and says it stays in V4 mode a lot longer and more frequently as well which is a LOT better than it used to do :) Good to hear that it was a good drive.

OP
OP
L

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding! My 2010 Suburban had the cylinder deactivation. It had almost no power and the transition at the limit was pretty rough unless you really goosed the throttle. On the 2015 it's smooth and can even drive up the small hills around my house at 25mph.

gGM Fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phil now that you have some time behind the wheel, I have two questions:
Have you found a transmission temp gauge?
Is that a digital read out of the gauges shown in your picture? Can you program the display with other display options?
Thanks

OP
OP
L

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few options for customization but not as many as I might like. Although I haven't tried it yet, the manual indicates that the transmission temp gauge pops up when you put it in tow/haul mode. I will verify soon and take a picture for you.