First oil change on 2009 Tahoe....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KillerStudio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gonna do my first oil change at 1k miles.....did you guys put in regular conventional oil or did you use synthetic? Some people say break in with conventional oil first then run synthetic at 5-8k+ miles. What did you guys do?

Thanks in advance!

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Well 1000 miles is to qucik to change but better safe than sorry right?
My first oil change did not come until 8k miles and I used Mobil1 1 Extended Per. 15k miles oil, used it again at 15k, and will do it again soon at 20k.
I also use the wrench on K&N Gold filter.

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I will switch to Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter at first oil change. It's not too much more than a regular AC Delco filter and Mobil 1 at Walmart is pretty reasonable in the 5qt container, like $25 or so. Nothing protects like Synthetics especially Mobil 1. I once watched Mobil 1 get heated up side by side on a metal work bench against Mobil conventional oil and it amazed me by never burning while the conventional went up almost instantly. I think 7500mi is a good interval for the oil changes, it's not the oil breaking down anymore, it's the filter getting worn down that you have to be careful about. Even conventional oil will last 7500mi without a sweat but the damage done to the filter is where you end up with the wear and tear on your engine's wearable components

Last edited:

Yukon Joe XL

Reaction score
7500mi is a good interval for the oil changes:

I agree. I did my first oil change at 1300 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic and now change every 7-8K. If I go longer ...say to 10K .....no big deal with the synthetic. 15K between oil changes seems excessive to me. I always used 3000 miles as the barometer for conventional oil changes on my vehicles. To each his own:)

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my friends who owns an engine building school says he used to do a 70/30 mix of regular and synthetic because he says the blend of synthetic keeps the regular oil from breaking down and is way cheaper than going with pure synthetic. I've always done two quarts of Mobile 1 at every change, usually 6-7k miles.

mad max

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How bad would it be if some bone head put regular oil in a synthetic oiled motor? I always heard it was a bad thing to do.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the potential problem could be.

I've seen a lot of folks recommend first change at 500 miles to remove any break-in metal particles.

A GM engr recommended to change regular oil at 50% on the oil life monitor and 100% w/ synthetic. That works about at about 7K-8K for me w/ mostly city driving which is about once a year. Means none of those winter changes in the driveway.

sensinitas

Reaction score
Hey guys - Sorry to bump an old thread. Figured it would be better than starting another one.

I see most of you change your oil at 7500 mile intervals. My question is if you actually wait until the onboard computer tells you your oil life is low, or if you just change it at 7500 on the dot.

I was a little skeptical when I bought my Tahoe that I didn't need to change the oil until 7500, seeing as the motor was brand new. But I figured "what the hell," Chevy must know what they are talking about.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run both of mine to 0% using Mobil 1 and it is usually about 7K-8K mi. Most of that is short trip, city driving. If I had a lot of hwy miles, probably could get 10K-12K mi.

mike1944

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: the question about mixing regular and synthetic oils. Can't remember where I read about it a couple months ago, maybe Consumer Reports, they said it doesn't hurt anything.

Re: some mechanic's personal recipe. The oil companies spend tens of millions of dollars testing. If some mix of reg and syn oils worked better then IMO they would be selling that mix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts