First day with the rear entertainment package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dpm7471

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up my new Yukon Denali yesterday. I spent many minutes reading about how to get the rear entertainment package working for video usage and see there have been some success stories and some frustration. I wanted to share what I did after I read a lot on this forum....

My family has Amazon Firestick, and prime video, but rarely use the firestick as it seems we use Netflix more and Apple TV if needed.

So, I unplugged/removed my current Firestick and its power cord off our smart TV and put it into the Denali. That means I plugged the power cord from the firestick into the outlet in the back seat center console and then plugged the HDMI from the Firestick into the rear entertainment console.

The salesperson helped me set up the GM 4GLTE WiFi through OnStar which is free for 1 month, then $15 per month if your a healthcare worker (I am, but she didn’t even ask for verification and gave me the discount). Low and behold, the firestick worked like a charm and my son enjoyed a 1.5 hour ride home watching movies in the back seat via Firestick.

No issues with the headset after I was able to pair it with the system.

So far, so good folks...it’s working great. I’ll keep u updated as this seems like a hot topic.

OP
OP
D

Dpm7471

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update:

Everything continues to work well with this setup. No issues so far. We are going on a family trip next week where we will be on the road for several hours and the kids will most certainly be using the rear system. I also bought a second firestick which I plan on placing in the second HDMI so kids can watch different things. I’m wondering if this will make any difference in how it works, but will update after the trip. Happy Easter!

OP
OP
D

Dpm7471

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my setup. New firestick set up on the home TV and then placed in the Yukon. Wires held together with zip ties for now. Just tested both screens and working great with WiFi in the Yukon. A74295C9-AC83-48CF-9BCD-46D86AB88A2F.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Dpm7471

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Follow up on above: If you’re going to use 2 fire sticks, you will need to pick up a outlet splitter like the one I have that converts 1 outlet into 2. This is a cheap $3 product at Home Depot.

As mentioned in a previous post, set up your new firestick inside your home on a TV to save a lot of time.

New firestick is on the right and is a 4K one, but the other on the left is not, hence the different look. On sale right now at Best Buy for the same price as the non 4K. Just FYI.

reagle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get a mini USB to USB-C cable for the Firestick's power so you done have to use the outlet and mess with auto start/stop

OP
OP
D

Dpm7471

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks reagle, great point!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhere on here I seen a setup with a 90 degree HDMI adapter. The fire sticks were out of the way and less likely to be kicked or bumped.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dpm7471

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now that picture attached to your thread Jimmyy looks very low profile. I will order those 90 degree low profile HDMI’s today. Is that a USB-c adapter attached to the firestick and where would I get those? Best Buy? Or I’m sure amazon has them but what is that called?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel