Firming up ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping to pick some brains on ideas for improving the ride on my ‘16 Suburban z71. Approaching 70k on the clock and the original Goodyear SRAs. Kicking around a level, shocks, and tires but wondering if anyone has improved the ride (better rebound control, less wallowing when loaded etc) by any means I should consider. Appreciate any suggestions

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping to pick some brains on ideas for improving the ride on my ‘16 Suburban z71. Approaching 70k on the clock and the original Goodyear SRAs. Kicking around a level, shocks, and tires but wondering if anyone has improved the ride (better rebound control, less wallowing when loaded etc) by any means I should consider. Appreciate any suggestions

The SRA is of course a street tire. Kind of funny being on a Z71. The level won't add to or take away from the existing ride (spacer under front shocks).

If yours were mine, I'd get some new tires (Michelin Defender or BFG KO2) and then see how she runs before making any other changes save for inspecting the shocks and springs for being broken. If you do not want the stiffer ride offered by the Z-71 suspension package, you could convert to the plain ZW7 setup, shocks and springs and no auto level of any kind. Go GM OE, ACDelco or Bilstein.

OP
OP
NYisles1

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SRA is of course a street tire. Kind of funny being on a Z71. The level won't add to or take away from the existing ride (spacer under front shocks).

If yours were mine, I'd get some new tires (Michelin Defender or BFG KO2) and then see how she runs before making any other changes save for inspecting the shocks and springs for being broken. If you do not want the stiffer ride offered by the Z-71 suspension package, you could convert to the plain ZW7 setup, shocks and springs and no auto level of any kind. Go GM OE, ACDelco or Bilstein.

I like the BFG’s (we have them on our Silverado) but they wear a little fast and I’m putting about 22k/yr on the suburban, mostly highway but a decent amount of snow covered unpaved roads thrown in. I’m leaning towards the Cooper at3 4s.

I’d ctually like the firm up the Z71 ride, not the other way around. You think tires and Bilsteins can make a tangible difference?

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the BFG’s (we have them on our Silverado) but they wear a little fast and I’m putting about 22k/yr on the suburban, mostly highway but a decent amount of snow covered unpaved roads thrown in. I’m leaning towards the Cooper at3 4s.

I’d ctually like the firm up the Z71 ride, not the other way around. You think tires and Bilsteins can make a tangible difference?

From what I've read yes, the Bilsteins should improve the ride and handling over the Ranchos. As for comparing the Goodyear to the Cooper, I have no experience with them. Might want to rename this thread or post a new one about tires to get more guys to chime in. I'm running a stock suspension with KO2s and happy with it and it handles fine on the highway.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein 5100s. I’m running front and back. Great shocks.

Coopers are great-much better than I expected. I’m running the Cooper LTZs.

OP
OP
NYisles1

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you level as well?

iras1976

Reaction score

Did you have any trouble installing the bilstein 5100 on the front ? I bought the bilstein 5100's front and rear , but they require you to use the oem springs seats , and mine wouldn't come off . I then bought a pair of super cheap struts just to use the spring seats , and they were welded on . I ended up having to return the bilsteins and buy some ranchos . Just wondering if I'm the only idiot that has had this issue , or if it was a common issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NYisles1

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to circle back to my original post, wound up getting Cooper AT3 4s’s in a slight upsize (275/65/18) and bilstein 5100s at all corners. Ride height is up 1.6” in front and 1.0” in rear with a coil spacer.

The transformation was much better than I expected. Much more controlled ride and and great firm feel. The coopers are a tick louder than the stock SRAs were, but they should add some capability in snow and have a nice look to them.

I should have done this a while ago. It really feels like a different vehicle.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you level as well?

Kinda. I LOWERED the rear 2” for ease of accessibility. Then didn’t like the noe up attitude, so lowered the front—but too much. So I adjusted it back up with the Bilstein. Anyway, very happy with the Bilstein.

So it is leveled—just lower than normal!

1BC1E0F1-25AB-4740-A98E-A1E3C1F2F255.jpeg

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have any trouble installing the bilstein 5100 on the front ? I bought the bilstein 5100's front and rear , but they require you to use the oem springs seats , and mine wouldn't come off . I then bought a pair of super cheap struts just to use the spring seats , and they were welded on . I ended up having to return the bilsteins and buy some ranchos . Just wondering if I'm the only idiot that has had this issue , or if it was a common issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No trouble like that. Just getting the Bilstein on as they are a tad longer than stock. Some loosen the upper ball joint. I just used a really long pry bar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne