Finally went from lurker to owner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

findog78

Reaction score
Finally made a purchase yesterday. Got a 2004 Z71 with 180K on speedo. Has rebuilt motor with 33K on it (with paper work for full overhaul and dyno tune sheet) 862 heads mild cam long tube headers and Cat back dual exhaust with flowmaster 40's. Newer pads and rotors fresh stockish tires he put back on when he removed some 26 rims? 7" Kenwood head unit with amps I really dont know much about! LOL. Still has a couple issues. Heater actuator issue where defrost comes through dash instead of window vents and heat control knob lights not lit on drivers control. Even knowing I have issues to deal with I'm so glad the search is over. The amount of flakes advertising their vehicles on CL and not calling back or just flat out lying about condition was level 5. I had posted a WTB Tahoe ad in CL. Last week a guy sent me some pics and asked if I was interested in his 07 LTZ Z71 with 135K. Been chatting on CL email clarifying a few details and he sent me VIN and more pics. I asked for zip or a land mark to see his location which was in Vancouver 2+ hrs from me. We arranged a time and meet him on Wednesday. When I was on road I would text him for address. Well an hour into drive he still hadn't returned my call or text for exact address. I was getting concerned and pulled over. He didn't get off until 5:00 so I trying to justified to myself that was reason. Fricking guy ghosted me and never heard from him again. I was like WTFO??? Ended up calling an ad in Portland from McDonald parking lot off I-5 and was able to go look at an 06 Z71. Trying to save the drive but inside totally disappointed because it was such a down graded from a fully loaded black on black LTZ I had myself psyched up to buy. The 06 test drove fine but engine bay had a funky smell smell. I checked the trans oil which looked like ass and smelled burnt. I past on it and drove home bummed. Hopefully this one is a solid purchase and foundation I can build on. Looking to lift a little maybe 3-4 inch. Probably stay under 33" on A/T tires. I'm a firm believer in low gears for wheeling. This one has 3.73. Mission is to be capable off road and hunting trailer towing rig. Ill still be reading and lurking just not driving a Buick Century anymore!2004 Z71 tahoe 10.11.20.jpg

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally made a purchase yesterday. Got a 2004 Z71 with 180K on speedo. Has rebuilt motor with 33K on it (with paper work for full overhaul and dyno tune sheet) 862 heads mild cam long tube headers and Cat back dual exhaust with flowmaster 40's. Newer pads and rotors fresh stockish tires he put back on when he removed some 26 rims? 7" Kenwood head unit with amps I really dont know much about! LOL. Still has a couple issues. Heater actuator issue where defrost comes through dash instead of window vents and heat control knob lights not lit on drivers control. Even knowing I have issues to deal with I'm so glad the search is over. The amount of flakes advertising their vehicles on CL and not calling back or just flat out lying about condition was level 5. I had posted a WTB Tahoe ad in CL. Last week a guy sent me some pics and asked if I was interested in his 07 LTZ Z71 with 135K. Been chatting on CL email clarifying a few details and he sent me VIN and more pics. I asked for zip or a land mark to see his location which was in Vancouver 2+ hrs from me. We arranged a time and meet him on Wednesday. When I was on road I would text him for address. Well an hour into drive he still hadn't returned my call or text for exact address. I was getting concerned and pulled over. He didn't get off until 5:00 so I trying to justified to myself that was reason. Fricking guy ghosted me and never heard from him again. I was like WTFO??? Ended up calling an ad in Portland from McDonald parking lot off I-5 and was able to go look at an 06 Z71. Trying to save the drive but inside totally disappointed because it was such a down graded from a fully loaded black on black LTZ I had myself psyched up to buy. The 06 test drove fine but engine bay had a funky smell smell. I checked the trans oil which looked like ass and smelled burnt. I past on it and drove home bummed. Hopefully this one is a solid purchase and foundation I can build on. Looking to lift a little maybe 3-4 inch. Probably stay under 33" on A/T tires. I'm a firm believer in low gears for wheeling. This one has 3.73. Mission is to be capable off road and hunting trailer towing rig. Ill still be reading and lurking just not driving a Buick Century anymore!View attachment 259860

Welcome and nice truck, I don't see many red Z71s are here.

If you can post the rebuild info so we can see what cam you have. Also, I might suggest checking frontend parts of they feel loose because 26"S will wreak havoc on steering parts.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I legit never see red Tahoe’s around my neck of the woods. Looks nice. Congratulations

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions. No more lurking! :)

Pics, please.

OP
OP
findog78

findog78

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm liking the red too. Rebuild specs I got was with reground crank block honed for stock pistons new rings. Said it had 706 heads that are prone to cracks so he used a set of 862 and did a valve job and added PAC Racing 1200 Series valve springs. Trick flow Track Max cam - 285 int./292 exh. 0.560 int./0.560 exh. Dyno sheet says 277hp @ 5K and 294 tq 3.5K. A/F was 12.14. That was on those 26 wheels. No sure if or how much difference that makes. I just learned the multi spark is no longer enabled so Ill have to see what mileage is? He did give me an alignment receipt but its from 25K ago with 26's and there is slight play in steering wheel. That will be on the "to check" list. It has third row. He swapped the captains chairs for bench in the rear. I guess they are interchangeable. Head lights, marker and tail are swapped to LED. Here are a couple pics from the ad...which I jumped on as soon as I got the notice. It was pouring down rain last night and I dont have any pics of my own yet.
2004 Z71 tahoe 2.jpg 2004 Z71 tahoe .jpg

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa, that's a pretty big cam for a 5.3 actually bigger than the one I have in my 6.0. Since he only ran it to 5k that's likely a big part of why it seemed to make low power. A big cam like that needs to rev, I'd definitely have a good reputable tuner take a look at the tune soon just to make sure it's not running dangerously.

OP
OP
findog78

findog78

Reaction score
When I looked up the cam it says application is from 4.8L all the way to 7.0L. Advertised rpm is 2000-6000. It pulls hard around 3500 and the flowmasters definitely wake up about 3K. If I was able to choose the cam it would have been RV grind starting closer to 1500 rpm like a performer but I wasn't. Thanks for the heads up to check on it.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I looked up the cam it says application is from 4.8L all the way to 7.0L. Advertised rpm is 2000-6000. It pulls hard around 3500 and the flowmasters definitely wake up about 3K. If I was able to choose the cam it would have been RV grind starting closer to 1500 rpm like a performer but I wasn't. Thanks for the heads up to check on it.

It will for sure make good power not knocking it at all, I bet it sounds wicked which means we all deserve a cam chop idle video :anitoof:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach! Looks to be in excellent condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz