Fan and fan clutch removal during the winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I just remove it and leave it off during the winter?
00 yukon
Im planning on putting E fans in anyhow this coming summer but was wondering if i could just leave the clutch fan out for now?
Dont really see anything negative with how cold it gets here in Nebraska happening.

What u guys think?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it will probably be fine if you never stop for very long potentially even some longer red light's. regardless i dont recommend it at all. ambient air temps vs air actually circulating through the radiator and across the engine will be a huge impact. the amount of heat an engine generates are held in check by the coolant and the airflow. remove the air flow and you would probably overheat if you had to stop or got stuck in slow moving traffic. no airflow through the radiator and you might as well remove the radiator entirely at that point.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's cold enough where you are, I don't see a problem. I have an 06 Sierra Denali with 6.0, and an 09 tahoe with a 6.2, both have e fans. I have NEVER heard them run when temps are below 50 degrees, unless I run the a/c which I don't do. With that said, if my fans aren't running at all in colder weather, you should be fine taking off the clutch fan shit for the winter months.

OP
OP
U

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We average down to the 20s in mid winter here in Omaha so I really dont see a problem either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you ask. I replaced my water pump a few years ago in November and decided not to put the fan or the shroud back on for a few days while I ''check for leaks'' I used a Zip Tie to help support the upper Radiator hose so I could leave the shroud off. I had the truck running half in the garage with no air flow for a while not in the truck and not paying attention the engine started to idle funny. I ran over and jumped into the truck to see the temp gauge pegged the engine computer had put the engine into ''over-heat limp mode'' I backed out the garage and Limped it down the street to cool it down which took about a mile. That happened in March. I drove four months with no problems and one stupid lapse in judgement cost me a new radiator because the left side tank cracked. I was lucky the engine still ran fine after and did not smoke or burn oil.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compared to the other power suckers on the engine, and in the transmission the amount needed to drive the fan clutch when not actually needed is probably not noticeable in your fuel mileage. In fact, maybe the fan helps drag the car along the road when it rotates?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i did elct fans on my pick up i had em on a switch so i could turn em off if i wanted to. also had a t stat hooked up to em. fan off in winter id get heat real fast for the morning warm up. and in winter i could drive around just fine, but if i got stuck in traffic or it idled to long the temp would get up there and id have to turn em back on.

you could likely get away with it, but be best to shut it down as soon as you get where your going.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can hear my e-fan kick on in cold weather on like a low speed if I am sitting parked for a a bit. I think it helps keep the thermostat closed to keep coolant hot in the motor for heat for the HVAC better than it would without the fan cooling the radiator? Does that make any sense? Or I'm full of shit one or the other lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20