Factory Sound Insulation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if it's the same across all the various models from PPV's to LTZ's? In other words, is the interior of an LTZ more quiet than any others, and if so, how'd they do it? I have an SSV that is louder than I think it should be having ridden in other Tahoes. It has carpet/padding, but I can easily hear everything outside. When I'm parked and a car drives by it sounds like I have a window slightly open. All weather stripping appears to be good.

I've watched video's of panel removal where they use LTZ's and they don't appear to have any added insulation, at least not from what I can see on the front and rear doors.

Any ideas?

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added some sound deadener to my door skins and it made a decent difference road noise wise. I figure I’d just added as I took things apart. Next will probably be some to the roof and maybe the rear wheel wells.

Have you checked your door gaps? Maybe things are slightly off and letting that sound in. A dollar bill between the door and weather stripping will tell you quickly areas that need attention.

Reaction score
My Denali has some thick padding insulation you can see in the door jambs when you open the front doors. I think it's supposed to help keep out engine noise

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
BourbonNcigars

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added some sound deadener to my door skins and it made a decent difference road noise wise. I figure I’d just added as I took things apart. Next will probably be some to the roof and maybe the rear wheel wells.

Have you checked your door gaps? Maybe things are slightly off and letting that sound in. A dollar bill between the door and weather stripping will tell you quickly areas that need attention.
I've done the dollar bill test. I can still pull it through but there's a decent amount of resistance. I'm missing something somewhere. I haven't gone along the bottom of the doors yet so I'll try that next. I was just curious if the more upscale models had additional sound absorbing layers.

I have some butyl backed dampening material sitting in boxes at home but I don't want to waste time and effort installing it until I know the source of the additional noise.

One interesting thing I did do was take my laptop (with audio analyzing software) and a calibrated microphone down the road with me on the highway to get a real time visual of was frequencies I was hearing/feeling. Things start to get loud under around 125 hz, which is significantly lower than typical wind/road noise if I'm not mistaken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n