Factory alarm won't reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Security issue.
Truck will not start. When I stick the key in the ignition and turn to start, the alarm activates. It goes through the cycle and then quits. It is a factory alarm., I've tried disconnecting the battery. It,s like it won't reset anyway I can't start the truck. Is there a way to bypass this alarm? or how do I repair it?

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '97 Tahoe had one of those ragedy ass factory anti-theft systems installed on it.
A royal pain it was.
Mine would come on randomly while driving!

I found the fuse that was inline to power the alarm module (black box thingy) under te dash, I pulled the fuse.
Then I found the ignition wires and figured out which one was used for the starter solenoid signal and cut the alarm system wiring out of the loop.
After that I added some wire to connect the ends as it would be on a truck without the alarm system.

OP
OP
bass1775

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's where I'm at. I replaced the battery in the fob. This allowed me to stop the alarm from going off. Then the truck would not start (battery was low). Since I had been having problems with this battery anyway, I replaced it. The truck starts fine now anti theft is not going off at random etc. However the key fobs do not work thus not allowing me to lock and unlock the truck. Do they (key fobs have to be reset/sincd or something?

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's good to hear.....

You shouldn't have to have it reprogrammed because the battery went dead, but the dealer has to program new "fobs" to your vehicle.

Maybe something wrong happened and it no longer communicates with your alarm.

Perhaps the alarm module looses the memory of the fob when all power is lost?

Mine became faulty about the 3rd I used my Tahoe which is when I did away with its control over my vehicle.

Maybe someone else will come along with further experience and knowledge...
Sorry I can't be of further help.

OP
OP
bass1775

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to re-sinc the key fobs. I've changed batteries before and I did not have to re-sinc the fobs. I'm not sure what happened but, all is well. New battery, Alternator is charging just fine, new batteries in the key fobs. Doors lock and unlock correctly factory alarm is behaving. I drove it around for a couple of hours, running errands, stopped, locked it and unlocked it several times. All is well.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
hope it keeps working for you. i had the same problem Jerky Arm Ape had. the thing went CRAZY on me. wound up snatching mine out aswell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas_Made