Extended Warranty.....Yay or Nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer quoted me almost 3 grand for my GMC Acadia. Pulled up the quote as I was sitting in the finance guys desk.. It was funny, said it wasn't the same. He took my phone to show the manager it was the same. He was so pissed. That was his profit! They ended up giving me the extended warranty for $1,500.

https://www.knappvehicleservicecontracts.com/

Check them out.

This is the GM Plan

Last edited:

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put that money in the bank. If you need a repair it’s there. I never have bought an extended warranty. Never had an out of pocket repair that was something I couldn’t fix. So if I need a major repair I’m still ahead of the game by thousands. It’s all what you want your level of comfort to be. James Black Cadillac sells them as well and there is one other can remember. Search the corvette forums. There is plenty of talk there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney FLint

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We live full time in as motor home and as a consequence, likely if we had a failure, we would not be anywhere near the dealership we got the car from. I am getting to the point that I cannot do much work on a vehicle any more. There was a time when I could do everything except auto trans but those days are long since gone. So, I get the extended warranty, just in case. Chances are I may not need it but with the chance of having to put a motor in a vehicle, I do not have a choice if I want to drive a reasonably new vehicle.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who is the extended warranty through? And does the plan cover everything but wear items? That is the big question. If so, then absolutely get it.

Just wait until you get a repair bill for any part of the infotainment system and that warranty will pay for itself. More and more parts have to be programmed and more and more parts can only be programmed once cutting out getting used parts.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Two things additional: If you HAVE TO BUY a plan, buy the dealer/GM plan and never buy the aftermarket plans. They can pull up stakes in a state and change name and move to another state and you lose your coverage. Second: If you buy a plan, buy it AFTER the bumper to bumper coverage expires. If you but a plan from the beginning with a new vehicle, that makes the extended warranty an "Instead of warranty". Bumper to bumper covers the probs and the plan you bought is a waste for at least the first 3 years.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all aftermarket plans are bad. Fidelity/JM&A is probably the best warranty you can buy and I’d buy that over the GMPP/GMEPP any day. They will fix your car right and not argue or send their own junk parts.

Mopar extended warranty is also very good if you happen to be buying from a Mopar dealer. I’ve had a few dealings with Total Warranty Services and they’ve been good so far. Carmax and Carvana are some of the worst unless you’re willing to let their people work on it.

As with all warranties, it’s the fine print that you need to read very well to see what is and isn’t covered. I’ve seen some that exclude seals and gaskets which is one of the main two reasons I’d want a warranty (the other is transmission). I’ve also seen some exclude “luxury electronics” on a Denali even though it is literally the same radio as a regular Yukon.

For $1700 though, he is only paying for that mileage between 36k and 60k because $1700 is pretty cheap for a warranty on a newer vehicle. Plans are usually more expensive after the B2B expires and then they can hit you with “preexisting conditions.”

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I'd bite on that for 5/60. I'd want six years minimum and more miles (72K ?) if your use would need it.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The devil is in the details. BEFORE purchasing the extended warranty read the very fine print and pay particular attention to the exceptions. You may find that there are multiple exceptions resulting in non-covered items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645