Extended Warranty - Please Advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlpfcb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 Yukon XL - 2 Wheel Drive version with 10k miles on it, so almost new. The 3/36k mile warranty has about 5 months left and the car came with an extended 12 month 12,000 mile bumper to bumper. So right now I'm covered for the next 17 months or so. I plan on keeping this vehicle until my kids leave the house, so about 10 years. They offered an extended warranty for 72 months or 90k miles for $3100. I don't normally go with extended warrantied but at this price it seems like a smart move. Never owned a GMC so advice is appreciated if I should pull the trigger. They said I have a few days to decided. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_061404.jpg
    IMG_20240514_061404.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 4

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James Black Cadillac and Knapp automotive sell GM warranties at a discounted price, I would check with them and see if your Dealer will match the price.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the Powertrain (internals of the Engine, Transmission, differentials, transfer case, u-joints, CV Joints, etc) are covered to 5yers and 60K miles by GM. And certain Emissions systems components (catalytic converter, engine control module, transmission control module, and other diagnostic-emmisions-critical electronic control uints) are covered to 8 years or 80k miles. See here --> https://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty

So...your "extended warranty" which is really a Vehcile Service Contract is only covering other stuff, past this...

You might consider sticking the $$ in a high yield savings account and holding on to it until it is needed and see how you come out...my bet is you come out ahead. It has to be this way, statistically, or every VSC seller would be losing their shirt. Generally, a vehicle service contract is a financial product designed to make the seller money.

FWIW, when I traded my 2013 Suburban LTZ, I decided to total up the non maintenance repairs I made on it over the 9 years and 115k miles I owned it. The answer: ~$1500 (brake caliper, one autoride shock, rear air leveling system compressor, a couple sway bar links, and a couple other little things). This data made me decide to not consider a VSC... Admittedly, I am a stickler for maintenance; I do everything by the maintenance schedule in the owners manual for "severe" service, wash my vehicle often, am mindful of corrosion and take steps to mitigate it, and fix things as soon as they start to appear problematic, vs delaying anything...My actual maintenance expense in thie same period was about $2200 (Oli changes on schedule; transmission, transfer case, differential service every 45k miles, brakes/rotors was once; air filters on time; sprak plugs at 100k; brake fluid exchange every 4 yrs or 45k miles; etc)

djsassan

Reaction score

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But is this an actual GM warranty or something else? The GMEPP Platinum for that money and length through your local dealer is probably a good way to go - even though their price is a bit high. And one non-covered repair on that late model rolling computer might cost double the warranty purchase.

BacDoc

Reaction score
My thoughts on this is that you have 2 options.
First
Get the warranty if it works directly through GM for peace of mind and the added value for resale. Not that you can sell it for more but if I was looking at used truck I would definitely buy the one with warranty over a comparable condition/year for slightly less.
Second
Don’t get the warranty but buy 3 shares of NVDA. Split is coming. In 3 years the $3k will be worth at least a little more and most likely well over 5k.
If you need major work that would help!
If you use a discount brokerage like Schwab you will only have capital gains tax to worry about lol!
This is not financial advice and past performance does not guarantee future earnings however…AI is only just starting and NVDA has the lock on the tech at least as long as a warranty period!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msp2640