Extend my warranty past 36,000 or Not??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$70k truck and the extended warranty cost $2k, worth it to me if you’re going to keep it past 100k

Yes, intend this one to be a keeper until the wheels fall off, I bought primarily because I am 6ft8 and my back can't take it anymore laying down in a Toyota Venza that I came out of, so want I want to payoff and then the wife can lease whatever she wants every couple years. Plus I work in Real Estate (Broker in Tampa Bay, 50% are foreclosure properties, so ALWAYS need to have a toolkit with me for properties, for minor repairs etc that come along with the job) And it happened to be 4x4, so down the road I can have some fun with some mods.

Not worried about the engine/powertrain, mostly about all the electronics and the AC, all that tech has got to be crazy expensive 5 years from now.

Mac 2018 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got a 18 Tahoe Premier and bought 84mths 100k miles for under 2k. Kept it on the road for 7yrs and to cover all those bells

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Oh yea, warranty. Something directly thru GM like a CPO if possible. You’ll want that HVAC and electricals wrapped up now. The transferable 3/36 GM coverage on our 06 Denali XL easily got us another $5-6k on the selling price after 2 years of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TahoeTX

Reaction score
I had a Tahoe LT for the last 8 years and did most of the maintenance myself. With an extended warranty I would have come out ahead but not by much. Parts were not that expensive and readily a available. Now last month I picked up a 2016 LTZ and added a bumper to bumper to 110k for about $2800. It’s definitely worth it for the LTZ or higher levels because of all the options they have on them. As others mentioned the auto-shocks, auto-lift gate, sun roof, cameras, media system, yad yada yada. It adds up over time.

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, intend this one to be a keeper until the wheels fall off, I bought primarily because I am 6ft8 and my back can't take it anymore laying down in a Toyota Venza that I came out of, so want I want to payoff and then the wife can lease whatever she wants every couple years. Plus I work in Real Estate (Broker in Tampa Bay, 50% are foreclosure properties, so ALWAYS need to have a toolkit with me for properties, for minor repairs etc that come along with the job) And it happened to be 4x4, so down the road I can have some fun with some mods.

Not worried about the engine/powertrain, mostly about all the electronics and the AC, all that tech has got to be crazy expensive 5 years from now.

I hear you. The tech is replaceable after several years anyway. I’m hoping for Alpine to come out with something that would replace the head unit in these things. It’s decent for now but they’ll build something better. As for the other tech, I have an old Yukon, power side mirrors broken, rear defroster broken, half the the lights on the dash are out but the main things like power seats, moon roof, and windows still work. But the engine still roars so I don’t care but that’s just me

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE - local dealer quoted me essentially $2700 to $3150 for a warranty through "Protective Asset Protection", so I took the 5 quotes home, and now have two concerns:

-This doesn't appear to be the GM-backed warranty mentioned previously by everyone else in this thread.("Protective Asset Protection"??)
-I was going there for service anyways on the washer nozzles, fixed 5 months ago and went bad again, last time it was free(I am still within my 3/36 Factory Warranty), this time service manager tells me it will be $120 when the parts come in. (???)

So now I am wondering if this dealer is selling me some aftermarket warranty, not the GM one, that they make more profit on, and why is the washer nozzles not part of my 3/36, like the last time they "fixed" the issue?

Dealer is starting to lose some credibility, if anyone has a Florida dealer that they trust, please post or shoot me a PM, appreciated!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMEPP is the only real GM warranty and they can sell you that one also no matter what they tell you. Your washer nozzle should certainly be covered under 3yr/36,000. You could contact GM customer service and it may be time to find a new Dealer.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMEPP is the only real GM warranty and they can sell you that one also no matter what they tell you. Your washer nozzle should certainly be covered under 3yr/36,000. You could contact GM customer service and it may be time to find a new Dealer.

Yes, thinking that I need to find another dealer to get the GMEPP warranty, I really don't trust the aftermarket warranties, they are in business to deny claims, every dime they don't pay goes straight to their bottom line. GM dealer on the other hand, may at LEAST want to potentially get my next purchase , and has somewhat of a interest in playing straight with me.
(they are nicknamed "Stealerships" for a reason, I remember selling used(up) cars back in the 90s, when F&I guy sold a $1295 warranty, around $800 was kicked back as profit to dealer, those warranties were truly horrible, covered only "internally lubricated parts", think about that for a minute lol, not covering a whole lot.)

StephenW

Reaction score
No extended warranty is going to cover MRC. Went through this last year.

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
GMEPP Platinum - Covered:
  • Engine
  • Transmission / Transaxle
  • Front / Rear-wheel-drive assemblies
  • Fuel system
  • Engine cooling system
  • Heating and vehicle manufacturer-installed air conditioning systems
  • Electrical, computer and audio systems
  • Braking system components
  • Suspension (Front / Rear)
  • Steering system
  • High-tech components
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Safety assemblies

NOT covered:
  • Sheet metal
  • Body parts, panels and rails
  • Bumpers
  • Chassis frame
  • Cross members
  • Hinges
  • Trim, moldings, and bright metal
  • Paint
  • Rust damage
  • Convertible and vinyl tops
  • Weather-strips
  • Carpet and upholstery
  • Exhaust system and catalytic converter
  • Tires
  • Glass
  • Lenses
  • Sealed Beams
  • Light Bulbs
  • Batteries
  • Brake drums
  • Shock absorbers
  • Squeaks, rattles, wind noise and odors

AND:
Unless required in connection with a covered part we will not pay for: engine tune-up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubricants, engine coolant, drive belts, radiator hoses, heater and vacuum hoses, windshield wiper blades, air conditioning recharging, fluids, spark/glow plugs and wires, brake pads/linings and brake shoes/rotors, manual clutch disc, vehicle manufacturer recommended maintenance services and parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne