Extend my warranty past 36,000 or Not??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought a used 2017 4x4 Tahoe LT around 5 months ago, with 31k miles, now I have 34,500 on it. Dealer said to bring it in for a check-up, and they can explain warranty options to extend (I think out to 60 months, bumper to bumper coverage). Right now my bumper-to-bumper warranty is going to run out in 1500 miles, so its time to do it or not.

Not sure of the cost, has anyone else done this? Cost? If no real problems in last 3k miles, should I extend or not? I have never owned a Tahoe until now, so not sure of how reliable they are, my thinking is if its 2k or less, I will just do it.

ALL REPLIES GREATLY APPRECIATED, I AM GOING IN THURSDAY TO THE DEALER, THANKS!

Amanda4461

Reaction score
My take: I generally know what simple things cost when they fail, and have had enough failures between my Impala/Z28/Corvette/Tahoe to know that yes, the simple things fail, usually immediately after my warranty expires. Simple things to me are heated/cooled seats @ $1k repair, Magnetic Ride Control shocks at $3k, etc. The engines are generally bulletproof if the oil/filter are replaced with quality goods often, but one hiccup with the AFM and cha-ching! Don't want to know what an 8-speed tranny costs. In short, I don't mind spending a couple thousand to get me to the 100,000 mile mark. I have used every warranty that I ever bought, and I have preventive maintenance done on the severe schedule. Mechanical stuff fails. I don't mind being over-insured for those failures when they come. I only use GMEPP for GM vehicles. Nothing much has helped my Ford Exploders, outside of Ohio's Lemon Law:893karatesmiley-thu

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just purchased a 100,000 mile warranty from a 3rd party. Look up my driver seat thread... $600 and it still didn't work. Now, I have a $100 deductible...to take anywhere, mechanic or dealer. See what they offer and then shop around. Ours is thru JR Auto protect.

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
I'm not a believer in extended warranties myself. There's a reason that they push these so hard - on average, most people's repairs would cost less than the price of the warranty. Seller keeps the difference. If it wasn't profitable, they'd stop selling them.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! 10 years ago I wouldn't buy a extended warranty, but now things are so tech-y (and my mechanical skills are non-existent), so I think I will be buying the warranty tomorrow.

(I used to sell cars back in 1995, and the dealers/manufacturers do make a ton of cash when the vehicle either doesn't break down or better yet, gets totaled or stolen, ****, your warranty money is gone. But I look at it as making a 2k bet, either the house wins or I win, and I DO NOT want to be dropping a trans or computer, etc and eating the full cost. So looks like a YES on this decision)

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned the pricing on these new ones are crazy expensive to repair. I believe the taillights are $750, MRC shocks, Headlights $1000, ect, ect. These trucks are full of electronics. Labor rate in Orlando is $150.00 an hour. I wouldn't think twice on these new ones and did it on my 2017. Unfortunately the pricing in Florida is regulated by the Attorney Generals office and there is no negotiating on price. Just look at the different coverages as there are different levels which determines what all they cover. I think they are set up like bronze, silver and gold which determines the level of coverage and some have disappearing deductibles. If you are close to Orlando I have a friend who is the Finance Manager at a Chevy Dealer if you feel you are getting the run around from your Dealer. Good Luck.

Its_Shaun12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would be curious to hear what you find since I will be having the same question in another 6000 miles myself. I have generally decided to 'self insure' over my last couple of vehicles because I have not made back my money on warranties but with the tahoe and it's electronics I think I will be extending it just for piece of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts