Expedition vs Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only Kia I would consider is the Telluride, it's a nice looking mid-size SUV. I don't like some of the changes made to the '23 model, I would prefer a '22, even those are seeing huge dealer mark ups lately.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
The big thing is the Genesis dealer network hasn't kept up with the "Upscale" level of the brand. Most all of them are just glorified Kia Dealerships with service to match. I very briefly looked into one and when the dealer said sorry, we have no pickup or delivery and can't guarantee loaners... that was it for me....
That's interesting. I looked at Genesis just for fun and their cars come with something called Service Valet for the first 3 years/36k miles....which essentially is a feature where they pick up your car when it needs service and drop it off when its done. If the dealer can't honor a service that comes with the vehicle....then I'm surprised they can get away with it

As far as loaners go I think it's just based on your dealer and timing. I've leased a Jaguar in the past and once I needed to get the tints removed (pre-installed by them) because they were to dark and I could not pass inspection....I called up they gave me a whole we're backlogged it will take a few days so I said no problem I'll drop it off and take a loaner....well I had an issue getting a loaner because at the time they told me they had none available. The guy apologized he's like we have a dozen loaners and most of the time we have half just sitting here and unfortunately they're all out. Luckily I was able to get them to to schedule time so I can go there and get it done immediately without waiting long.

Last edited:

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
The only Kia I would consider is the Telluride, it's a nice looking mid-size SUV. I don't like some of the changes made to the '23 model, I would prefer a '22, even those are seeing huge dealer mark ups lately.
Pretty much every dealer is marking up cars by me, but I've heard on here someone said that their local dealer ws marking up Kia's by $15k.

Absurd.

The Ford Bronco markups made the news by me....some dealer in NJ was charging a 43% markup.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The used car and truck prices around me are ridiculous, I stopped in to check out a used AT4 pickup and saw the prices on the used vehicles were not shown anymore. The dealer probably adjusts the prices daily like gold prices.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL... I may need to place an order for either an Expedition Max or Yukon XL sooner rather than later. My N55 motor in my car decided to self ventilate through its bottom end at VIR this past weekend. It was a tired N55 motor with 146,000 miles on it with a lot of track mileage. Fortunately I still have a work car, mid size SUV, and another "clunker" to drive around.

1651011500591.png

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I looked at Genesis just for fun and their cars come with something called Service Valet for the first 3 years/36k miles....which essentially is a feature where they pick up your car when it needs service and drop it off when its done. If the dealer can't honor a service that comes with the vehicle....then I'm surprised they can get away with it

As far as loaners go I think it's just based on your dealer and timing. I've leased a Jaguar in the past and once I needed to get the tints removed (pre-installed by them) because they were to dark and I could not pass inspection....I called up they gave me a whole we're backlogged it will take a few days so I said no problem I'll drop it off and take a loaner....well I had an issue getting a loaner because at the time they told me they had none available. The guy apologized he's like we have a dozen loaners and most of the time we have half just sitting here and unfortunately they're all out. Luckily I was able to get them to to schedule time so I can go there and get it done immediately without waiting long.
After owning a Genesis G80 Sport for several years, I could not in good conscious tell someone to go out and get one yet. The car was cool as hell, really liked it, but the dealer and service networks were still Hyundai, and terrible.

I tried on several occasions to use that service valet only to get a response "OK, we can schedule you for 3 months from now" when I asked when I could just drop it off "oh, next week" ...can I get a loaner? "if the service is deemed to take longer than an hour we'll gladly give you a loaner"....over 2.5 hours in service department and countless times asking for a loaner determined that was a lie. "Oh it's almost done, you don't need a loaner"....and this was at the GOOD Hyundai dealer by me.

Really, if the Genesis independent dealers start really opening and they get a dedicated service team they'd be a viable choice again. With the prices of their vehicles also going up, they're starting to lose their original messaging of Luxury at reasonable prices. My 2018 G80 Sport was maxed out at $58k, 2022's are $71-72ish now. Genesis seems to have removed the build and customize page to really see pricing.

Granted the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalades aren't inexpensive by any means, but they really arent marketed as being cheap.

Loaners are a integral part of the service experience, and my local GMC dealer claims GM pulled all their loaners in 2021. I understand the auto climate, but I've had many dealerships in the past (Acura, Honda) where they'd have a "dealer fleet" of loaners that THEY owned as well as a "brand fleet" that was provided to them by Honda/Acura.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ This is Genesis reality ^^^

A not ready for prime time player....

RVAHokie

Reaction score

My wife's car is a 2 year old Volvo XC60. My mom and my mother in law both also drive Volvos and all our dealers do this complimentary.

Anytime we have service they come get our car and drop off a loaner. Closet dealer for my parents is 1 hour away but still the type of service you can except in a luxury brand vs not.

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can rant about the two different Hyundai dealers Ive dealt with all day, and I seem to rant about them frequently. They are the epitome of “car dealership” stereotypes. The quality of their product does not make up for the experience, yet. I’m also honestly not a fan of their new styling. I LOVE the ‘15-20 G80 and G90, they look classy and gave off almost a Bentley/Astin knock off vibe. I’ve had more compliments from my ‘16 and ‘18 Genesis than any other car I’ve owned.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After owning a Genesis G80 Sport for several years, I could not in good conscious tell someone to go out and get one yet. The car was cool as hell, really liked it, but the dealer and service networks were still Hyundai, and terrible.

I tried on several occasions to use that service valet only to get a response "OK, we can schedule you for 3 months from now" when I asked when I could just drop it off "oh, next week" ...can I get a loaner? "if the service is deemed to take longer than an hour we'll gladly give you a loaner"....over 2.5 hours in service department and countless times asking for a loaner determined that was a lie. "Oh it's almost done, you don't need a loaner"....and this was at the GOOD Hyundai dealer by me.

Really, if the Genesis independent dealers start really opening and they get a dedicated service team they'd be a viable choice again. With the prices of their vehicles also going up, they're starting to lose their original messaging of Luxury at reasonable prices. My 2018 G80 Sport was maxed out at $58k, 2022's are $71-72ish now. Genesis seems to have removed the build and customize page to really see pricing.

Granted the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalades aren't inexpensive by any means, but they really arent marketed as being cheap.

Loaners are a integral part of the service experience, and my local GMC dealer claims GM pulled all their loaners in 2021. I understand the auto climate, but I've had many dealerships in the past (Acura, Honda) where they'd have a "dealer fleet" of loaners that THEY owned as well as a "brand fleet" that was provided to them by Honda/Acura.

yeah the whole "GM pulled all their loaners" is a farce...like you mentioned, dealers have their own fleet of loaners. Had a service advisor tell me straight up that the dealership sold the majority of the loaners due to the market being so high...and since it's stayed high and supply is low, they aren't replacing the loaners. One of the largest GMC dealers in the state (at one time in the nation) told me that they only have loaners for people that have bought from them - which is better than any other dealer I've dealt with over the past year where they might have a couple loaners on hand