Exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before anyone hounds me for not searching this, I did and couldn't really find much on what I needed to know.
How difficult is it to remove the stock exhaust manifolds to install shorty headers? What needs to done, what are the steps? Relative difficulty?

Also, The same with the stock exhaust system and putting in a cat-back?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone? Maybe this should go into performance...

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 bolts manifold to block, 2 or 3 y pipe to the manifolds. Heat them first then remove.

Cat back isn't too bad, cut out the old stuff, bolt in the new stuff.

This all depends on the age, if that stuff has been removed before, miles, do they use salt on the roads there, etc. It can be an easy job, it can be a nitemare too. :p

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks retorq. Idaho doesn't use salt, only sand. I took a peek underneath there and there is some rust in spots, it looks like my stock exhaust muffler has a small pinhole leak at the back, there is black soot around it. My rig has 144,xx, and none of these parts have been touched for along time. Any other way to make the bolts back out easier besides heat? I plan and doing these all at the same time so does it matter which go on first, headers or exhaust?

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
I strongly recommend you use a smoke wrench to heat up the exhuast manifold bolts before you try to take them out. Or go for a good, long, hard drive first. They'll come right out. Otherwise, you run the risk of breaking them, and that's an instant catastrophy. If you break those bolts, you're quite possibly looking at pulling the heads. That's less than fun. I believe you'll find that the concensus here is that the step from stock to shorty's is not worth it- instead go with long tubes if you're going to really do something. :)

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you'll find that the concensus here is that the step from stock to shorty's is not worth it- instead go with long tubes if you're going to really do something. :)

So how much is actually gained from shortys?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65