Exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stanley1994

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm wanting to run true dual straight pipes on my 99 Tahoe and want a specific tone and sound. How much effect does the diameter of the exhaust pipe have on the tone and actual loudness? I've heard that smaller is louder, but I'm sure there's a lot of common misconceptions out there.

Really wanting some deepness with a clean, crisp "clapping" and was debating on 2" and 2.5" piping. Could someone with some good exhaust knowledge explain the pipe size/noise/tone relation to me?

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smaller piping usually gets more of a pop to it. Bigger has a lower crackle. Tips IMO play a part to. Bigger and longer tips add that deeper loud tone as it acts as a megaphone in a way.

Headers and any mid pipe stuff modifies tone as well, x and h pipes, catalytic converters etc.

You say "clapping" and I think of the loud crack or crackle that every straight pipe vortec 350 makes on a pickup/tahoe/burban. I used to like it but prefer my super 44 way more after putting one on.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simplest and alot of times cheapest way to duel pipe these vehicles, is to get a OEM Yukon Denali or 2500HD truck manifold to tip pipe set. Its all ready catted and is duel all the way to muffler.
Grab a duel in duel out Xpipe inside muffler or twin muffler setup and have one pipe made from the muffler or twins back to tip.
Given that the pipes run parallel to each other from the trans back, you could even put a quality Xpipe closer to manifolds for a greater effect. Then run duel mufflers of your choice.

Vola! duel exhaust and cheap.

Its already correct size and most exhaust shops or members toss them.
Very cheap and Plug n play..