Exhaust/oil odor, LSD chatter on my 2001 LQ4 Denali - Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to run down an odor on my Denali for about 1.5 years. It's got 178k miles and is otherwise in incredible shape. At this point I've all but given up - I got a newer Yukon XL 2500 and listed the '01 for sale. But this has been bugging me so much, I'd love to figure it out. Hell, I might keep the old truck if I fix it.

The symptom: an odor in the cabin. It has elements of exhaust, burned oil, maybe a tiny amount of coolant.

When it happens: when running the vehicle, especially at highway speeds, when doing a cold start when the engine has been off for about a week.

When it goes away: when I open the windows. When I use the vehicle regularly. It almost seems like there is some seepage somewhere, that only happens when the engine is cold. When I fire it up something expands (stopping the leak) and the odor eventually goes away (after something has been burned off).

Related symptoms: On a cold start after the engine has been off for about week, it runs rough (makes a growl/grunt) for about half a second.

It's not the exhaust manifold gaskets, those were recently just replaced (completing with welding out broken bolts). There doesn't seem to be any exhaust leaks (several mechanics agree).

A cracked vacuum hose was repaired recently, maybe there are more? I see some oil by the front driver wheel, maybe it's the PCV that needs attention?

I wonder if it's the fuel pressure regulator? One mechanic thought this would explain the very brief rough start. It could be the fuel pump of course.

Possibly related: I think one of the clutches in the front LSD is bad. If I drive for an hour at highway speed, then cut the steering wheel (like, say, to pull into a parking spot), the LSD locks and I get tire chatter. My wife thinks it's super scary!

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LSD chatter is likely just insufficient LSD additive since it only does this when hot. I may give that a try.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the HVAC Odor Diagnostic from the factory service manual. I worked through it with my mechanic. The heater core is good, no leaks seen with a boroscope, so I'm wondering what else it could be.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I`m no expert but i`m pretty sure an LSD was never available in the front differential on these trucks.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think any gmt800 Denali or Escalade 6.0 ever had LSD in either front or rear diffs if they were AWD

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine definitely has the G80 RPO code. The vehicle isn't readily accessible at the moment, but, I'll check to see if there is some aftermarket front differential on it. Who knows, maybe i'm feeling the back lock up - but it sure feels like it's coming from the front.

01515_chcGmiUUOET_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess all I can do at this point for the odors is keep checking with a borescope and my nose for the source of the odor and the leak. I've been trying to run this one down for a year and a half. I think it's a little bit of everything.

It's up for sale, but, there is a slim chance that I'll just hang on to it, put it in storage for a while, and work with my kids to do a full restoration once they get a bit older.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Could you post a video or audio clip of your startup sound?

Are you certain it's your front differential binding and not your transfer case?

Check top end of the motor for oil leaks. valve cover is going to be the big one that'll stink up a storm when it hits hot exhaust being that it's right above the manifolds.

Also do a smoke test, or hook up a vaccuum in reverse and pressurize the exhaust. Remove the heat shields and spray soap water on the manifolds to check for a fussy gasket or cracks

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pan gasket leak.

The smell - and knowing the root cause - had been bugging me for long enough that I pulled the Denali off the consignment sale lot and brought it home for inspection.

I got video of a cold start after a full week of sitting still. Two videos, in fact. One from the center console and one pointed right at the exhaust. I was hoping to reproduce the occasional cold start growl I get. Nada. Perfect cold start, exhaust looks right, no funny noises, drops to a low idle. Can't complain I guess. But no more data there.

There was no odor, either. That is, until I turned on the heaters. Then, bam, it hit right away. It's got to be oil. Not necessarily burning oil, just, hot motor oil. Selecting inside air helps some.

I took it home and got it up on jack stands. My mechanic friends have told me that synthetic oil finds leaks, and that you always want to start from the top and front of the engine since oil flows down and back.

The oil pan is covered in oil and dirt. Nothing above or forward of the oil pan is covered. I thought it could be the front pulley seal but that looks clean.

There is some oil by the breather hose, and one of the boots has a crack, but those wouldn't cause my odor.

It's tough to convey this in photos, hopefully the ones I've posted are clear.
IMG_20190212_093151.jpg
IMG_20190212_092859.jpg

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold start videos, for the record:

Vehicle is sold! Maybe I could have fixed it, but I'm enjoying my 2013 3/4 ton and the funds from this sale will help maintain the new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727

Latest posts