Exhaust manifold bolts broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rashod

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts broken on my 04 GMC Yukon. The 2 rear bolts one a driver side and other on passenger side are broken and then another up front. Should I put new manifolds on and go that route or use the manifold clamp kit?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Broken exhaust manifold bolts are a common theme for these trucks. Folks have discussed this topic here in the Forum in various threads, and they will chime in with their suggestions and perspectives for you.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would also recommend fixing the issue correctly. you could also purchase a set of arp bolts to replace all the manifold bolts. if a shop does it they will most likely use good bolts but will just be the same grade as the ones that were there. ive never used arp but alot of people swear by thier hardware so has to some merit to thier quality.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a broken bolt and used the aftermarket bracket method to "fix" it.
Additional reading on the subject indicated the GM replacement bolts are good and should last a long time, pointing to ARP not really necessary. The bolts may be hard to get out but a good mechanic can do it with welding/reverse drilling/etc./etc.

jcb2

Reaction score
I have 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts broken on my 04 GMC Yukon. The 2 rear bolts one a driver side and other on passenger side are broken and then another up front. Should I put new manifolds on and go that route or use the manifold clamp kit?

I would drill out and retap to install new studs.
Next time, instead of risking a broken stud, do this. Using a small wire brush and pick tool to remove any rust from the nut/bolt joint. Then apply some Aerokroil and let it soak in overnight if possible but at least for a few hours. Then using a wrench or socket alternately try loosening and tightening and you’ll start to get some movement in the treads. Spray more Aerokroil then you should have a good chance of removing the nut or the entire stud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llujum