Exhaust / Headers Help (Suggestions)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BamaDogg

Reaction score
It may be a time to replace the exhaust / headers. The entire system is rusted really bad and seems to be leaking. I smell exhaust pretty strongly when I drive. The exhuast sounds great but may be a little on the loud side as well. The exhust comes off of stock headers to a muffler and then splits to straights.

What could I replace this with that sounds good / does not reduce performance / and is cost effective?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shorty heads are a direct replacement. I like JBA, not a fan of headman. Then I have a magnaflow Y pipe and hi-flow cats to a borla cat back

OP
OP
B

BamaDogg

Reaction score
shorty heads are a direct replacement. I like JBA, not a fan of headman. Then I have a magnaflow Y pipe and hi-flow cats to a borla cat back

Is replacing headers difficult?

The cats are Magnaflows?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they can be tough, mainly because the bolts get stuck and so on. But like I said, shorties bolt up in place of the stock manifolds. You'll get a ton of guys say do long tubes or nothing and they have a point in performance but then you are custom on everything.

Yes, my cats are magaflow. I like them a lot. I used to go through a cat every year or two until I put them on

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the process right now of a new exhaust. Im donig Pacesetter longtube headers(380$) 3 inch piping just like stock is now with 2 new magnaflow cats(180$) A magnaflow y-pipe(12.50$) A flowmaster 50 series delta flow(60$) then a single 3.5 inch pipe going out the stock exit. I havent priced the pipe yet. Im in the process of finding a tip though. I like the look of a black chrome tip.

The reason i included prices is because i thought you might like to know how much everything cost roughly. I got all this off of amazon.com. Its a rough estimate. Cant member how much i payed exactly for everything.
But i know the headers are twice what i payed on some websites or close to it. The cats i have are very expensive. the muffler is a 120$ regular price. Just wanted to leave some information for ya dude so you knew what it cost to do it right the first time.

OP
OP
B

BamaDogg

Reaction score
So the stock piping is 3 inch?

Are you collecting parts and doing it yourself or just taking it to a shop?

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Also what size Y-pipe? There are many options?

bigfeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey 19yukon97, I have the same set-up, but my advice is stainless tailpipes painted semi-gloss black. two pipes exiting behind the rear wheels. That's how I did it looks awsome. Forget the black chrome!

OP
OP
B

BamaDogg

Reaction score
What exactly is the Y-pipe for? Are cats absolutely necessary?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmy22