Exhaust fumes and sound coming from intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

codyclark65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried putting new spark plugs in it was no luck and I pulled the motor out of a stock 07-08 Tahoe I never did no modifications to it before putting it in my 2010 Tahoe they only thing that was different between the two was one was a vvt and the one I put in is a non vvt but was running perfectly when pulled from 07 Tahoe

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
In my inexperienced opinion it is pointing to the tune. They should have flashed the ECM for your donor motor which is 07/08 5.3L Tahoe with the non AFM motor you mentioned.

You mentioned a shop deleted the AFM / VVT. Did they simply delete the software that controls the AFM or did they remove the mechanical parts that deactivate the cylinders?

More info still needed.

OP
OP
C

codyclark65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my inexperienced opinion it is pointing to the tune. They should have flashed the ECM for your donor motor which is 07/08 5.3L Tahoe with the non AFM motor you mentioned.

You mentioned a shop deleted the AFM / VVT. Did they simply delete the software that controls the AFM or did they remove the mechanical parts that deactivate the cylinders?

More info still needed.
Simply deleted the software

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing more needs to be done to the ecm when you swap in a different motor other than just removing Cylinder deactivation it's a different vin type motor

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not understand how exhaust comes out of an intake with a little bit of white smoke? like of the air intake that runs to the air filter? from the intake manifold?

that part I don't understand, but sounds to me like it's flooding itself with fuel while cranking and runs rough till it clears out.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Agreed. If possible get all the peeps involved in the build on a conference call. See if you can find the VIN of the truck that the motor came out of. The place that tuned the ECM will probably want that.

You’ll want to make sure the new motor really is a 5.3. Fingers crossed it’s a 6.2 LOL!

OP
OP
C

codyclark65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not understand how exhaust comes out of an intake with a little bit of white smoke? like of the air intake that runs to the air filter? from the intake manifold?

that part I don't understand, but sounds to me like it's flooding itself with fuel while cranking and runs rough till it clears out.
It doesn’t stay running long enough to clear up

OP
OP
C

codyclark65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agreed. If possible get all the peeps involved in the build on a conference call. See if you can find the VIN of the truck that the motor came out of. The place that tuned the ECM will probably want that.

You’ll want to make sure the new motor really is a 5.3. Fingers crossed it’s a 6.2 LOL!
I’m going to do that in the morning and see if it fixes it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667