Esky Roof Rack Installation on Un-drilled Roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3m tape can get moisture under it in the future and that spreads to it lifting. I don't think I'd try that option

The 3m VSB and other 3m tapes are moisture proof ... they are specifically designed for external automotive use.

Depends, id drill/tap it if i were ever going to use the roof rack, id just 3m tape it if im adding it just for looks and never plan to haul anything up there.

Yup, that was also my line of thinking ... I will never use it for its intended purpose, it strictly an aesthetic mod.

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id go with 3m automotive tape.. I used to work in procurement buying this stuff for a top manufacturing company. They used various 3m tapes on everything. Its quality stuff and i dont foresee any problems using it. I had my old roof spoiler on my car held on with it. The spoiler literally would have broke it I tried to yank it off. I had to use finishing line and a heat gun and it still took me a good 10 mins or so to get it off...Sub'd for pics!

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Id go with 3m automotive tape.. I used to work in procurement buying this stuff for a top manufacturing company. They used various 3m tapes on everything. Its quality stuff and i dont foresee any problems using it. I had my old roof spoiler on my car held on with it. The spoiler literally would have broke it I tried to yank it off. I had to use finishing line and a heat gun and it still took me a good 10 mins or so to get it off...Sub'd for pics!

I completely agree. As long as you do some research and get a roll of 3m's automotive tape made for moldings and emblems, clean both the rack and the mounting locations very well to remove any wax, and let it cure a little on a warm day, two sided tape will be perfect (and removable). Remember, the manufacturer's use this stuff for emblems and moldings. Any one that has demolded there truck (and then had to get an erased wheel) knows this stuff is pretty permanant. Once you get it up there, you are going to see how strong the bond is.

BogeyBoy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid a ton of money to have my roof rack shaved and you're doing the opposite? haha jk lol.

I wouldnt touch it if I were you. Holes in a roof=bound to leak. Just tape it on.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no to the 3m tape...strong or not, it won't look right IMO. You'll create an ever so small space between the plastic guide for the chrome rail and the roof, with wind constantly hitting that gap....sail away roof rack.

250 and call it a day man...

b

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow.....quite a debate here and I can see both sides of it rather clearly. That 3M tape is very good, strong stuff however I've never used it in such an open location that is truly beat on by ALL elements.

If you were to drill holes I'd definitely make sure that who ever puts the screws in does so with silicone in order to seal the hole up. With that said, though, you'd also be introducing a few new spots on your ride that'd have the potential to rust in the future (assuming you keep it that long to "benefit" from that possibility).

Last edited:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok yes we all know 3M is used for the emblems/logos even the door mouldings. The weight of all of those are WAY lighter then this heavy ass roof rack. Like Boss said, there will be a gap that will continue to grow with the highway wind/rain hitting it. I'd protect my investment with real bolt-on hardware... but that's just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok yes we all know 3M is used for the emblems/logos even the door mouldings. The weight of all of those are WAY lighter then this heavy ass roof rack. Like Boss said, there will be a gap that will continue to grow with the highway wind/rain hitting it. I'd protect my investment with real bolt-on hardware... but that's just my 2 cents.

The 3M VHB, as demonstrated in the video, bonds so strong that it can pull rail cars ... if I use it, the issue isn't going to be if the rack stays on, it's going to be if it will ever be able to be taken off. :)

Btw, on the 3M automotive adhesives site, they have tape which is intended/specified for roof rack assembly, and that tape is less strong than the VHB.

But the gap issue is a valid one ... not so much because I'm concerned about adhesion but more from an esthetic pov. However when GM uses it, we don't see gaps between the moldings and our vehicles, leading me to think there's a way to do this in a seamless fashion. :think:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3M VHB, as demonstrated in the video, bonds so strong that it can pull rail cars ... if I use it, the issue isn't going to be if the rack stays on, it's going to be if it will ever be able to be taken off. :)

Btw, on the 3M automotive adhesives site, they have tape which is intended/specified for roof rack assembly, and that tape is less strong than the VHB.

But the gap issue is a valid one ... not so much because I'm concerned about adhesion but more from an esthetic pov. However when GM uses it, we don't see gaps between the moldings and our vehicles, leading me to think there's a way to do this in a seamless fashion. :think:

Good point. Guess you won't know until you try it :)

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point. Guess you won't know until you try it :)

lol, dude I'm petrified.

I'm pretty sure I'll only get one shot at this, better get those suckers aligned right or I'll be crabbing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
513Tahoe