ESCM reset?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lgrw2288

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just joined the forums after lurking but I had to post this to see if anyone else has come across this: I have a 2008 Yukon XL Denali with Z55 suspension. I just replaced my entire suspension with OEM AC Delco parts (struts and shocks, mainly). Rode and drove awesome up until last week in which my suspension went back to feeling stiff as hell. I unplugged the top sensors mounted on the front struts and the connectors on top of the rear shocks. Drove for a few miles, didn't get any notifications on the dash about "Service Suspension" and the truck rode much better and softer, though there seemed to be more body roll. In other words, it was driving nice and smooth like before. Just for ***** and giggles, I pulled out #2 fuse in the underhood fuse panel (ALC), and when I turn the key on I immediately get a "Service Suspension" in the DIC. Compressor is new, works fine, already tested/diag'd it, etc. I know it's sending something to the struts because of the immediate ride quality change.

Now here's the one thing that made me think back to when this seemed to have started: I recently took my intake manifold and injectors out. I unplugged the battery for quite some time, a few hours if I recall correctly. My question is that is it possible the electronic suspension control module went to some default mode? Maybe some experienced GM guys can chime in here. I don't have a Tech2, however I'm in the process of getting a VXDiag and plan on running a Tech2Win on it. In the meantime, is there some sort of reset to get this back or am I stuck having to get an ALC calibration of some sort? (I read up on Joseph Garcia's build and it was very informative, though I think he went through more hoops than I did)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just joined the forums after lurking but I had to post this to see if anyone else has come across this: I have a 2008 Yukon XL Denali with Z55 suspension. I just replaced my entire suspension with OEM AC Delco parts (struts and shocks, mainly). Rode and drove awesome up until last week in which my suspension went back to feeling stiff as hell. I unplugged the top sensors mounted on the front struts and the connectors on top of the rear shocks. Drove for a few miles, didn't get any notifications on the dash about "Service Suspension" and the truck rode much better and softer, though there seemed to be more body roll. In other words, it was driving nice and smooth like before. Just for ***** and giggles, I pulled out #2 fuse in the underhood fuse panel (ALC), and when I turn the key on I immediately get a "Service Suspension" in the DIC. Compressor is new, works fine, already tested/diag'd it, etc. I know it's sending something to the struts because of the immediate ride quality change.

Now here's the one thing that made me think back to when this seemed to have started: I recently took my intake manifold and injectors out. I unplugged the battery for quite some time, a few hours if I recall correctly. My question is that is it possible the electronic suspension control module went to some default mode? Maybe some experienced GM guys can chime in here. I don't have a Tech2, however I'm in the process of getting a VXDiag and plan on running a Tech2Win on it. In the meantime, is there some sort of reset to get this back or am I stuck having to get an ALC calibration of some sort? (I read up on Joseph Garcia's build and it was very informative, though I think he went through more hoops than I did)
all there is the calibration procedure with the tech2 or tech2 win
park on level ground, truck unloaded, put the tech2 out the window and do the calibration with vehicle vacant, takes maybe 30 seconds and it's done.
if it is a rough ride be sure the relief valve is working on the pump, reach under and feel the shock bladders they should not be rock hard

OP
OP
L

lgrw2288

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
all there is the calibration procedure with the tech2 or tech2 win
park on level ground, truck unloaded, put the tech2 out the window and do the calibration with vehicle vacant, takes maybe 30 seconds and it's done.
if it is a rough ride be sure the relief valve is working on the pump, reach under and feel the shock bladders they should not be rock hard

All that back there is good to go, so no issues there. From what it sounds like I am going to have to use a Tech2 to do this. I was hoping by unhooking the battery and/or some fuses and it would go back to normal. I spent some time undoing the neglect the previous owner had on this, so I am too far invested to just suck it up. I want a like new ride! lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only other thing you can do is make sure all the shock connectors are on correctly and the ride height sensors are all ok.
the service suspension only comes on when it detects a problem and you need the tech2 or a comparable 2-way scanner to get the code which is not obd

OP
OP
L

lgrw2288

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the only other thing you can do is make sure all the shock connectors are on correctly and the ride height sensors are all ok.
the service suspension only comes on when it detects a problem and you need the tech2 or a comparable 2-way scanner to get the code which is not obd

all connections are good. In my initial post, I stated that I unhooked all the electrical connectors on the struts/shocks (not the level sensors attached to the arms), got no warnings in the DIC and the truck rode more comfortably. I know that something is telling those shocks to stiffen up, otherwise unplugging all the connectors wouldn’t have made a difference in ride quality. I guess I’ll have to get a pass thru and see what the voltages are and go from there. I might even leave it unhooked for the time being so it doesn’t ride like shit. NC roads are garbage and being on the border of SC doesn’t help either with their lack of road maintenance.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all connections are good. In my initial post, I stated that I unhooked all the electrical connectors on the struts/shocks (not the level sensors attached to the arms), got no warnings in the DIC and the truck rode more comfortably. I know that something is telling those shocks to stiffen up, otherwise unplugging all the connectors wouldn’t have made a difference in ride quality. I guess I’ll have to get a pass thru and see what the voltages are and go from there. I might even leave it unhooked for the time being so it doesn’t ride like shit. NC roads are garbage and being on the border of SC doesn’t help either with their lack of road maintenance.
bottom line is you need the code to find out what is wrong, otherwise it is a guessing game or parts cannon.
if you have a good relationship with your dealer service department they may be nice enough to pull the code for you, mine would do it but I have a pretty good relationship with mine.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your truck is 2013 or older, invest the ~$350 in an Tech 2 clone. As stated above, without a bi-directional scanner, you will be shooting the parts cannon, and in all probability, you won't get any further than you are now.

OP
OP
L

lgrw2288

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your truck is 2013 or older, invest the ~$350 in an Tech 2 clone. As stated above, without a bi-directional scanner, you will be shooting the parts cannon, and in all probability, you won't get any further than you are now.

That's the plan, I have a VXDiag on the way and will use the Tech2Win interface to see what's going on. I'm convinced it needs the ALC recalibration but we will see. Still cheaper than a visit to the dealer. It's a 2008 so they would probably tell me to piss off anyways.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the plan, I have a VXDiag on the way and will use the Tech2Win interface to see what's going on. I'm convinced it needs the ALC recalibration but we will see. Still cheaper than a visit to the dealer. It's a 2008 so they would probably tell me to piss off anyways.
IMO, it is likely not the ALC calibration that is the source of your issue. I'd bet that there is an issue with your ESCM, but a bi-directional scanner will be able to help confirm the source of your issue. I'm not real familiar with the VXDiag unit, but I am assuming that you can monitor what is going on, right on the tool, thus probably no need for Tech2Win usage.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most likely has nothing to do with the calibration and is likely a communication or hardware failure somewhere which the code will point to.