Escalade hatch on Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburbalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. I have a 2003 Tahoe that I’ve had since 2010. I got it as a fun project to make an Escalade out of a Tahoe. So far I’ve done a 2005 ESV Platinum interior and exterior swap, supercharged crate 5.3 with 4L65E, and I did a door handle swap. All I have to do now is Escalade specific paint. However, I’ve been really bothered for the last 2 years that the hatch isn’t an Escalade hatch. How much work will it be to put an Escalade hatch on? I also know that the tail lights are different. Will this need a lot of work? Thanks.

Eddie

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I feel like a total lazy slug! I have been trying really hard over the past year, but I still can't wrap my head around the projects to convert Tahoe's into Escalades.

IMO... Waaay too much time and effort. Seems much easier to find an Escalade and buy one already assembled. Fewer arguments and less confusion when it is in the bay getting an RMV inspection. A whole lot less 'splaining to do. "But the VIN says Tahoe... This is an Escalade..." "This should have a salvage title..."

If I had a Tahoe and liked it, but an Esky would make me happier, I would probably just start looking for an Esky.

You are clearly committed to this for the pure challenge and fun of it. Props to you for taking this project on! I could never bring myself to do that kind of thing.

As long as you are enjoying it and that is what you want, that is all that matters.

Document any tips (with photos) of your hatch conversion, just in case somebody else has the same level of ambition as you.

OP
OP
S

Suburbalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now I feel like a total lazy slug! I have been trying really hard over the past year, but I still can't wrap my head around the projects to convert Tahoe's into Escalades.

IMO... Waaay too much time and effort. Seems much easier to find an Escalade and buy one already assembled. Fewer arguments and less confusion when it is in the bay getting an RMV inspection. A whole lot less 'splaining to do. "But the VIN says Tahoe... This is an Escalade..." "This should have a salvage title..."

If I had a Tahoe and liked it, but an Esky would make me happier, I would probably just start looking for an Esky.

You are clearly committed to this for the pure challenge and fun of it. Props to you for taking this project on! I could never bring myself to do that kind of thing.

As long as you are enjoying it and that is what you want, that is all that matters.

Document any tips (with photos) of your hatch conversion, just in case somebody else has the same level of ambition as you.
I’ve taken the project on, its been pretty hard. I started with a base model, only option selected was the hatch instead of doors. 4.8 to 5.3 wasn’t hard. It’s taken quite a while, I had to find a ESV Platinum to swap a Fascia and interior and that took a long time. Found a wrecked one up north, pulled everything but the 3rd row DVD (One of 3 things that didn’t work in it) and put it in. I looked for one with undercarriage problems or rear quarter problems. I got one with roof damage, likely from a storm. It’s been tough but the result is great. Won 2 awards so far, hope to win more.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... Don't get me wrong! I just got a chuckle out of the process only because, to me, it seemed like taking a lump of charcoal and trying to make a diamond.

Not entirely impossible, but most people would not bother to go through all that hard work and probably just buy a diamond that was already made.

I do think it is cool when the difficult challenges are taken head-on and work out. I admire your determination! It takes a lot of REALLY BIG challenges to keep a mind with a lot of creativity and mechanical ingenuity occupied. If something isn't difficult, it becomes boring. It seems like you might be that type of person.

While I might like to think I have some mechanical ability and creativity, I tend to not have the free time or cash to do any kind of vehicle projects. I try to focus my limited talents on making things easier for myself, which sometimes works out! I keep trying...

Do what you can to document your build process, including any tips/tricks and lots of photos. Someone else might have ambitions for a project similar to yours and any details you can provide might help them out down the road.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. They get the LQ9 which has something like 10 more horsepower and 10 more foot-pounds of torque than the LQ4 that comes in the rest of the trucks (Denali may get the LQ9 as well, I can't remember). They also have a slightly higher compression ration than the LQ9s, which is where the extra power comes from. They did this by using different pistons and I want to say connecting rods -- but I'd advise you to verify that one.

Also, some Escalades came with 5.3s.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I have some questions and hopefully and some good news for you regarding the hatch. First off if you find and Escalade hatch it’s a direct swap. I did it for my 2006 Yukon xl Denali as I wanted the Escalade high mounted tail light. It can be swapped on to a Tahoe or Yukon hatch but since the Chevy and GMC variants have the high mounted stop light mounted on the body of the truck the hatch glass has a curve molded into it to go around said tail light. The Escalade brake light housing will mount but bolt holes won’t line up. Which is why i sourced an Escalade hatch. Literally take your Tahoe hatch off by removing the smal little c shaped metal clamps, slide the glass left towards the drivers side of the truck and the hatch will slide off its hinge mounts on the lift gate. Slide an Escalade hatch in to its place, replace the c clamps and you're in business. I have photos and such if you need them.

Now onto my question, you said you put an 05 Escalade platinum interior in your Tahoe, did that include the air cooled front bucket seats?! If so I’m very interested in how you accomplished this! I’d love to know if you got the air cooled seats working as I’ve always wanted that in my Denali. I currently have two front bucket seats and and a console from a wrecking yard Escalade platinum edition sitting in a storage unit and I’d love to know if it’s really feasible to swap these in and have air cooled seats in my truck haha.

OP
OP
S

Suburbalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there! I have some questions and hopefully and some good news for you regarding the hatch. First off if you find and Escalade hatch it’s a direct swap. I did it for my 2006 Yukon xl Denali as I wanted the Escalade high mounted tail light. It can be swapped on to a Tahoe or Yukon hatch but since the Chevy and GMC variants have the high mounted stop light mounted on the body of the truck the hatch glass has a curve molded into it to go around said tail light. The Escalade brake light housing will mount but bolt holes won’t line up. Which is why i sourced an Escalade hatch. Literally take your Tahoe hatch off by removing the smal little c shaped metal clamps, slide the glass left towards the drivers side of the truck and the hatch will slide off its hinge mounts on the lift gate. Slide an Escalade hatch in to its place, replace the c clamps and you're in business. I have photos and such if you need them.

Now onto my question, you said you put an 05 Escalade platinum interior in your Tahoe, did that include the air cooled front bucket seats?! If so I’m very interested in how you accomplished this! I’d love to know if you got the air cooled seats working as I’ve always wanted that in my Denali. I currently have two front bucket seats and and a console from a wrecking yard Escalade platinum edition sitting in a storage unit and I’d love to know if it’s really feasible to swap these in and have air cooled seats in my truck haha.
Thanks for the info, this really helps! I'll have to source a Platinum hatch, and make new "Whipple-Charged" stickers. Just to confirm, I remove the clamps, and I just slide off the hatch and put the Escalade hatch on?

To answer, I swapped in the A/C Seats too. I didn't do it the right way, I remember the heated seats and power being the same as stock. As for the A/C function, you'll need an Escalade console (I think). I know that the SUVs and Trucks have a storage cubby beside the 12v outlet, it might fit there (If they didn't change it from 01-03). Now, how did I wire the A/C seats? Hardwired them. I didn't do the back seat heater/A/C, I could hardwire them but I just haven't. They're a little more comfy than my Sierra C3, but not by much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts