Engine seems to be bogging down with K&N

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcsmith21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a K&N 63-3070 63 series intake on my 2010 Tahoe. I've driven the truck now for a week and went on a 150 mile road trip. It seems to me that the engine is bogging down at lower rpms. When I get on the gas it takes a second then really goes. The ride just does not seem right and feels rough. I have not had any issue with check engine lights etc. Any suggestions?

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have the battery cable off during the install? If not disconnect the cable, Dual exhaust will also cause this issue or if there is not enough back pressure, Remember intakes make power around 3200 rpm and up exhaust is low end power.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the same as Volant, you may even want to look into a tune to compensate for the additional airflow.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that K&N model specific to the model/year of your truck? The 09+ have a different MAF setup. What other mods do you have?

Are you sure that hesitation was not there before the intake install? If you have the 6-speed tranny, that has been noted as one of the driveablity issues.

showerfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what's wrong with the six-speed tranny??? i'm looking to buy a new hoe, should i steer clear of the 11's and go for a 2010?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ There is nothing "wrong" with the new 6-speed. Some just do not like the shifting. It really wants to shift to the highest gear as soon as possible for maximize fuel usage, and as the OP noted hesitation. I think Black Bear can tune to your liking.

IMO I would get the 6-speed because it is more robust, although it is still fairly new so I have not seen any threads discussing major issues.

UKNOWME8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the 6 speed is the same one they put in the 2500 HD without diesel. i have one in my 2010 and had it in my 07 2500 HD and had 125k on it b4 i got rid of the truck and never had a single issue with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts