Engine Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything a 5.3L can do, a 6.2L can do better.
With the correct axle gear(s) & tires, so long as you're willing to pay for 91 octane, you won't lose much if any miles per gallon, and you'll gain quite a few smiles per gallon.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the cost of gas is not an issue for you, get the 6.2. It is truly a fun motor. If you don't get enjoyment out of driving (in other words, if you just use the truck to get from point A to point B), then the 5.3 would probably be fine for you.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you are doing any towing/hauling, I'd get the 6.2; I actually think the fuel economy towing is better w/ the 6.2 than the 5.3 (assuming you are north of towing 3500lbs).
Its a much better driving experience w/ the 6.2. And, I even think Highway the MPG's may be equivalent or even better w/ the 6.2 than the 5.3 in similar conditions...esp on interstate at say 70MPH+.

I don't think the 5.3 at 355 HP is a bad choice...but the torque in the 6.2 and the additional HP is awesome. The down side is running premium...which is a true cost delta.

Don't sleep on the 3.0 Duramax either...that is turning out to be a fine powertrain...

Suggest driving all 3 of them...even if it is in a Pickup...then judge for yourself.

You will spend more in Fuel in the 6.2, due to the upcharge in premium fuel.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any opinions pro or con on 6.2 engine vs. the 5.3 in Yukons?
I loved my first 6.2 so much, I bought another one. This, after owning a Suburban with the 5.3. I don't mind paying the price of premium fuel, so for me it's worth it. Best towing rigs I've ever owned. The 6.2 turns the truck into a beast!

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a 5.3 in our '11 suburban and now have one in our '21 yukon and both have been more than adequate. Don't really tow with them, although I have towed quite a few cars on a flatbed trailer and they both did fine, but mostly bought pretty much just as people haulers. The biggest difference between them I think is the 10 speed transmission on the new one makes for a much better driving experience.

tdebacker

Reaction score
I have the 5.3L V8 in my '17 Suburban and I wish I had the 6.2L. I've heard the highway/towing MPG between the two is negligent.

My 5.3L pulled my ~7000 pound trailer ('82 K10 on a 20' flatbed) just fine, but it didn't have as much pulling power up a hill as I'd have liked.

Maybe it needs a tune up (~91k) but I wish I had more power.

Zoomer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any opinions pro or con on 6.2 engine vs. the 5.3 in Yukons?
I’ve had both. 6.2 is a lot more fun, especially after adding a Borla exhaust. My 2004 5.3 is rock solid engine, but poor MPG with a 4 speed transmission. I don’t drive much and don’t mind paying for 93 octane now. 6.2 maybe the last V8 we’re able to buy, go big and go loud.