Engine Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything a 5.3L can do, a 6.2L can do better.
With the correct axle gear(s) & tires, so long as you're willing to pay for 91 octane, you won't lose much if any miles per gallon -
and you'll gain quite a few smiles per gallon.
I'll try not to quote myself too often; sorry - but I said it pretty well.

Think about it:
Only hypermilers would prefer a 5.3L, UNTIL they need to do 'trucky stuff'.
The rest of each and every one of us would be better served by a 6.0L or 6.2L, if only because a 6.0L or 6.2L would nearly always be more relaxed than a 5.3L that'd be trying harder in every possible case.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try not to quote myself too often; sorry - but I said it pretty well.

Think about it:
Only hypermilers would prefer a 5.3L, UNTIL they need to do 'trucky stuff'.
The rest of each and every one of us would be better served by a 6.0L or 6.2L, if only because a 6.0L or 6.2L would nearly always be more relaxed than a 5.3L that'd be trying harder in every possible case.
I don't feel that's the case at all. I don't hypermile or even give a shit about fuel mileage but I do know my 6.0 silverado stops at that gas station about twice as often as the 5.3 yukon and doesn't feel like it has that much more power to give. If you give it the beans in the 5.3 it shoots to life. The 6.0 tows well but so does the 5.3 both of them in trailer mode while towing a loaded car trailer. Only difference is the silverado tows like a rough truck and the yukon tows like a plush yukon. Everyone has their own preference but to say everyone is better served by the bigger motor just isn't true. I've never once in ten years of driving a 5.3 wished it had the bigger motor.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depends on how much you like to drive
if you like to drive get the 6.2
if are one of those people that gets on the highway at 35mph and could care less if the semi coming doing 70 rips you to bits & pieces then by all means get a 5.3 and get the hell out of the way of the rest of us.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on how much you like to drive
if you like to drive get the 6.2
if are one of those people that gets on the highway at 35mph and could care less if the semi coming doing 70 rips you to bits & pieces then by all means get a 5.3 and get the hell out of the way of the rest of us.
That's the thing though if you actually push down on the throttle pedal in the 5.3 they do get up and go pretty good. It's not the slouch y'all make it out to be. Sure it doesn't rip like a 6.2 but it's not a total dog

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know my 6.0L silverado stops at that gas station about twice as often as the 5.3 yukon and doesn't feel like it has that much more power to give.
The 6.0L ...
6.0L, as in LQ4?
Yes, an OE Gen3 (or Gen4) 5.3L makes nearly as much power and torque as an LQ4 in its OE configuration.
If some tend to settle for OE configurations, some of those might prefer a Gen3 or Gen4 5.3L over an LQ4, sure.

Especially since the LQ4 and the 5.3Litres don't all share the same axle gearing, which muddles the comparison.

Gear the LQ4 vs a 5.3L similarly, then test both under similar constraints.
The fuel economy penalty diminishes considerably.

Speaking of not settling for the OE configuration:
A TUNED Gen3 LQ4 or LQ9 is capable of Lean Cruise ... moreso than a TUNED 5.3L, which would further diminish the 6.0L's fuel economy penalty.

You'd appreciate that 6.0L a lot more than you think you would, with a proper tune.
Admittedly, the same goes for the 5.3L

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the thing though if you actually push down on the throttle pedal in the 5.3 they do get up and go pretty good. It's not the slouch y'all make it out to be. Sure it doesn't rip like a 6.2 but it's not a total dog
it's not a total dog no, but it's mostly the behavior of the person behind the wheel this goes for even a little 4 banger
if there is no desire to get at least some "performance" out of the vehicle then may as well settle for whatever is "good enough"
if you want to gauge the difference go test drive both because there is a difference and it is noticeable.
that's the bottom line, if you have no desire to get any kind of extra power out of the vehicle then just don't bother even asking the question.
1. will it go 0-60 faster: yes by a hair
2. will it have a smidge more towing power: yes it will
3. will it get less gas mileage: yes a smidge 1-3mpg less (even if driven easily)
3. seat of the pants difference: yes
4. does it require any extra maintenance or parts costing more than a 5.3: no, not in general a new engine block or intake replacement may cost extra, otherwise any "extra" cost is completely negligble.
the caveat's? well gm tends to package more bells & whistles with the 6.2 generally, driving the initial purchase price up by an avewrage of $10,000 and unless you are looking at used vehicles there is little to nothing you can do about it.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. will it go 0-60 faster: yes by a hair
2. will it have a smidge more towing power: yes it will
3. will it get less gas mileage: yes a smidge 1-3MpG less (even if driven easily)
4. seat of the pants difference: yes
5. does it require any extra maintenance or parts costing more than a 5.3: no, not in general a new engine block or intake replacement may cost extra, otherwise any "extra" cost is completely negligible.

the caveat's? well gm tends to package more bells & whistles with the 6.2 generally, driving the initial purchase price up by an average of $10,000 and unless you are looking at used vehicles there is little to nothing you can do about it.
1. Any 6.0L would be more than a hair quicker, but for GM trying to minimize its inherent CAFE MpG penalty with weaker gearing.
2. Any 6.0L has more than a smidge useful towing strength / power, some of which is sacrificed by gearing to minimize its inherent CAFE MpG penalty when not towing / hauling.
3. Yes, any 6.0L will cost a few MpG. Careful selection of axle gearing would either improve metro / urban MpG at the cost of highway MpG, or vice versa. (Did GM ever allow customers to do this?)
4. If the 5.3L had 4.10 and the 6.0L had 3.42, the 6.0L would still have superior seat of the pants response ... unless GM also hampered the 6.0L's shift tables to try to improve the 6.0L's MpG.
5. Don't see how any 6.0L would cost more to maintain, though it would cost a bit more to operate, and definitely more to repair.

If only GM had been so kind as to allow 6.0L V8s with barebones options kits, and buyer's choice of gearing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Any 6.0L would be more than a hair quicker, but for GM trying to minimize its inherent CAFE MpG penalty with weaker gearing.
2. Any 6.0L has more than a smidge useful towing strength / power, some of which is sacrificed by gearing to minimize its inherent CAFE MpG penalty when not towing / hauling.
3. Yes, any 6.0L will cost a few MpG. Careful selection of axle gearing would either improve metro / urban MpG at the cost of highway MpG, or vice versa. (Did GM ever allow customers to do this?)
4. If the 5.3L had 4.10 and the 6.0L had 3.42, the 6.0L would still have superior seat of the pants response ... unless GM also hampered the 6.0L's shift tables to try to improve the 6.0L's MpG.
5. Don't see how any 6.0L would cost more to maintain, though it would cost a bit more to operate, and definitely more to repair.

If only GM had been so kind as to allow 6.0L V8s with barebones options kits, and buyer's choice of gearing.
repair to an engine be it 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2 should not be inherently any more than another aside from the "block" or "intake" other internal parts, heads etc should not be off the scale different cost wise. based on standard performance engine & parts.
when you start shopping performance parts there are all kind of differences in price
labor cost is the same no matter what engine.
a shop doesn't go oh ya were going to charge you $150 an hour to work on this 4.8 but $250 an hour to work on the 6.2

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a shop doesn't go
oh ya we're going to charge you $150 an hour to work on this 4.8L, but $250 an hour to work on the 6.2L
I should hope labor rates don't discriminate against engine size.
Parts specific to 6.0L or 6.2L engines, however; I'd be surprised if GM didn't try to take advantage and charge more.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should hope labor rates don't discriminate against engine size.
Parts specific to 6.0L or 6.2L engines, however; I'd be surprised if GM didn't try to take advantage and charge more.
of course they charge more that's why they make a "design change" on purpose, that way they can charge more for the new part, they are the only source for the part. After it has been around a bit then the copycats come along and the remanufactures.