Engine needs 7 degrees advance to run right after top end work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezusmanis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently replaced the heads and intake manifold with Edelbrock parts. The distributor had to be pulled but I installed it per many YouTube videos and timed it to 0 degrees with the bypass disconnected behind the glove box.

When I reconnect the bypass and try to run the truck, it bogs really bad and occasionally backfires. If I advance the base timing to 7 degrees, it runs much better.

Any idea what's happening?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my first guess would be the timing chain is not set right or you got a bad distributor

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it ran ok before, and you did not remove the timing chain, it should not be the timing chain. Not sure what year your ride is, but 7 degrees was not uncommon for older (pre 80’s) generations

iCajun

Reaction score
Unfortunately you didn't mention what year and engine, or if it is stock, but I've never heard of anything using base timing of zero. 4-8 degrees is pretty common. Make sure the idle timing advances several degrees when the bypass is reconnected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE