Engine died while running x3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierra977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a forum lurker whose DD is a 1992 Chevy Suburban and it yesterday developed a problem.

Truck is a K1500 5.7L L05 non-Vortec gas engine, 4L60 auto trans and a bunch of standard options. Bought it new and it has 403,000 miles on the odometer. Truck has been almost absolutely reliable for twenty-seven years. Never had to work on engine, trans, differentials, transfer case etc, just tires, brakes, batteries, couple alternators, one ignition module, one A/C compressor, one power steering pump and one fuel pump. That's all.

Yesterday three times the engine just died while truck was driving 35mph on city streets. Rolling along in traffic when the engine just lost power and lights on the dash came on.

Re-started after about ten minutes and MANY tries.

Half tank of good gas, oil and filter (M1) changed last week, new battery, no trouble lights on dash, no strange noises, no strange smells or anything I can point to. Without warning the engine just stopped running.

I did crawl under the truck and slap the gas tank while someone else tried the starter with no result.

Truck will start now and seems to run fine but I don't trust it. It's sitting in the drive with a charger putting charge back in the new battery (800cca Interstate MTB).

Did I tell you I hate intermittent faults...

The garage that has done work on the truck says leave it with them and they will try to find the problem.

Anyone got experience with this problem? I'm open to suggestion.

Thauber

Reaction score
There's a lot to check for that, and most are pretty simple. Recreating what caused the stall outs can be more difficult though. It has been a day or two (12 years, give or take) since I had one in that year range, so you'll have to forgive me if my memory isn't spot on.

Is that system TBI?

Some things I would start with. Have you checked fuel pressure while running (or cranking if it dies again)? Can be right at the minimum when cold, but after running awhile falls below pressure threshold.
Checked for leak by on pressure regulator? Getting enough pressure but not proper flow. Usually results in a crappy running engine (no power) rather than no start, but worth a check.
Last time fuel filter changed?
Swapped pump relay? Would have to be currently acting up to test that
Check spark plugs? Not just color and buildup, but also make sure there is good spark from the coil/distributor.

this one might be telling my age... Jumped the OBD plug and counted CEL flashes? :)

OP
OP
S

Sierra977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your response Thauber.

Yes a throttle body injection system.

Truck ran fine on its way to local garage. They will run tests on it tomorrow and I will be there. Gonna start simple.

IIRC its an OBD I system so we will check that.

Two strange things happened to it (all three events happened yesterday):
TWICE yesterday the engined stopped at exactly the same place.
I drive wife to and from her job about twelve miles from our home. Yesterday morning on the way back from her school the truck engine quit while running 35mph on a city street about a mile from her school. Nothing but running a steady 35mph. Then yesterday afternoon on our evening return from her school the truck engine again stopped running AT EXACTLY THE SAME PLACE. Flat six lane secondary road. Second time it quit it restarted in about ten minutes of trying. This time it ran a half mile and quit again. Would not restart. Had AAA tow it home. This morning it started like normal and drove to the garage.

OP
OP
S

Sierra977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Garage today says they have ruled out fuel supply issues and believe the intermittent problem is ignition related. Hope to know more tomorrow.

If the distributor has developed enough "play" that the timing sensor is not reliable, does anyone know of a good reman distributor? I understand Delco is out of stock and does not do remans for this old truck.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try replacing the ignition control module, that is a classic symptom (dying out of the blue) then running fine until it does it again with no other symptoms. should be around $35-40 I would go ac delco on it.

OP
OP
S

Sierra977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you Doubleieve. That's first thing tomorrow's list.

QuestionL If the entire distributor needs to be replaced, what is a good brand to look for? Reman is OK.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Doubleieve. That's first thing tomorrow's list.

QuestionL If the entire distributor needs to be replaced, what is a good brand to look for? Reman is OK.
I would start with just the icm a small amount of play in the distributor I think is perfectly normal but it's been a while since I had a 80's/90's gm

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On that yaer, my opinion is the reluctor in distributor. Pop cap, its rusty. Replace Dist. $60.00 or less. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts