emergency unlock / spare key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jojojones

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Every vehicle I have ever owned had a spare key protected in something and zip tied under the rear bumper. I got a used 17 yukon xl with the 2 large key fobs. I know I can remove the key from one and put that under the truck but that just gets me inside and does not start the truck. How to do this?

I could hide the spare fob that the key was taken from inside the truck but then the truck will detect it's presence. I suppose I could remove the battery from it or maybe put it inside one of those ezpass bags to block the signal???

Yes I have onstar and that would be the first way I would attempt since going under the truck in nice clothes tends to ruin your day...also I was with a buddy who was locked out in a parking garage and no onstar there.

Am I missing something?

any suggestions?

tia

OP
OP
J

jojojones

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes I should test that to see if it looses it's pairing with the truck over time.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hide the fob in the truck but put it in a rf blocking sleeve.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or do like I did and put in a alarm with cellular module, if i'm that far out that there is no cell service and cant get it guess what? a window doesn't cost that much

GIZZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Chev is old and doesnt have push button start. I know on other brands in order to start the fob has to be by drivers seat area or console, they have a very short range. There are also dummy keys with really small heads that may fit in your wallet, if you're lucky they charge you for the key cut only. Then hide remote in truck.

OP
OP
J

jojojones

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
does a window actually cost less than an emergency locksmith?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman