Electrical Problems!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HBTony

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
Looking for some advise / Help !
I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe LT 2WD, recently I have been experiencing issues with my gauge cluster, door locks and radio not turning off when the door opens.
I have been seeing the gauge cluster start flashing most of the warnings lights along with alerts saying " Service Stability System " , " Service Airbag ". Also the radio not shutting off when exiting the truck and dash lights coming on and off as if it was dark and the light sensor was triggered.
I am also seeing the app gauge going to zero and then a minute later going back up to 14 volts. I did try to remove the positive terminal on the battery to rule out the alternator going bad but the truck remained running while the gauge showed zero.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated !!!

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hello,
Looking for some advise / Help !
I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe LT 2WD, recently I have been experiencing issues with my gauge cluster, door locks and radio not turning off when the door opens.
I have been seeing the gauge cluster start flashing most of the warnings lights along with alerts saying " Service Stability System " , " Service Airbag ". Also the radio not shutting off when exiting the truck and dash lights coming on and off as if it was dark and the light sensor was triggered.
I am also seeing the app gauge going to zero and then a minute later going back up to 14 volts. I did try to remove the positive terminal on the battery to rule out the alternator going bad but the truck remained running while the gauge showed zero.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated !!!
Start with the basics and test the battery, check all grounds and cables for corrosion.
That sounds like a weird issue maybe someone on here has some experience with this on their 99-06

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In addition to having the battery tested, and inspecting the main power cables (they do tend to rot from the inside), there are a couple of very important grounds on the body mount on the frame under the driver's door hinges, right behind the left front tire. They should be removed and cleaned, since one of them is the ground for the body control module (TBC). Here's a zoomable PDF diagram of the grounds.

Attachments

• Grounds - GMT800 Body Grounds.pdf
    65.4 KB · Views: 13

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks back I unfortunately swapped the battery poles and caused a short circuit.

I had exactly the same problems as you: My radio wouldn't turn off, my instrument cluster didn't show anything anymore, the airbag and stability control were on, the central locking didn't work anymore. Engine was running. Exact what you describe.

In my case, the 40 amp fuse at the top left of the fuse box, on the battery, had blown.

After I replaced it, everything worked again. So I'm guessing you have a problem on this circuit.

I would first check/test the fuse and otherwise look for the ground point for this circuit.

Good luck

that-truck-driver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did any of this fix the issue? My 05, same specs, is doing very similar things. Stability cuts off, door switches inop, nothing with radio or instrument cluster that I noticed.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did any of this fix the issue? My 05, same specs, is doing very similar things. Stability cuts off, door switches inop, nothing with radio or instrument cluster that I noticed.

Welcome to TYF from Colorado.

The OP ghosted us, so don't expect an answer from that gallery.

Have you tried any of the suggested diagnostics?

that-truck-driver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, ok...no not yet...work had me away. I might get to fiddle with it one evening. But I will keep updating. Mysterious issue very intermittent, as this is twice in a year its done it.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might also have your alternator tested. To me, this sounds like an Alternator on the way out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork