Electrical issue, imagine that

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks. 2007 Yukon SLT. Having an issue where the radio does not come on when starting the truck. Everything else works just fine, but no radio and of course no turn signal sound. turn signal works fine. It's been hit or miss. Sometimes I start it and the radio is on and everything is fine. Other times it's just off. Hard to figure out a smoking gun with how sporadic it is. A few days it actually started really rough(as if battery was about to be dead), and just this week the battery was dead in the morning. Got a jump, went and picked up a new battery, but didn't even replace this one yet as it's only a month old itself. Seems like "sometimes" when I leave my truck there is a short somewhere and it is potentially draining the battery. Just kind of at a loss as the battery is pretty new, and my truck has started just fine and holds a charge since I got the jump on Wednesday.

One other thing of note. Stopped and got gas today and when I started my truck back up the radio didn't come on. Went to pick up my kids at school and was sitting in carline and decided to turn the truck off since no radio was on anyway. After about 5 minutes the thing chimed, and spit out the CD that I had in. Keep in mind the truck was completely off and I was just sitting there for a good bit. When I started it up the radio came on. It was almost like the timer for when you turn the truck off and stay inside went off(where the radio shuts off to avoid draining the battery), and it reset something. Any thought would be appreciated. I now have a brand new battery as a paperweight, but I suppose peace of mind in case it decides to let me sit again by draining the battery down. Contacts/cables on the battery are clean and secure.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clean the battery post's and connectors up even if they look "ok" and check grounds there is a couple that tend to get caked up with crap because they are right behind the front wheel well on the frame on both the left & right front side, those will take a scraper and some gritty sandpaper to get back down to bare metal

OP
OP
T

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory dvd/cd player and never messed with. I will take a look at the grounds as I have never cleaned them personally. Bought this thing with 40K on it and now at 227K miles. hahaha. Thanks all for the replies.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it’s not the grounds it might be the head unit itself. They do go bad sometimes. You can usually find the factory ones on EBay for pretty cheap since a lot of people swap them out for aftermarket. If you decide to go that route, pull the old unit and get the p/n and match it up. I have the factory unit from my 08 Silverado you can have if you pay shipping. It’s listed as 07-13 Silverado Tahoe Yukon in compatibility charts. It’s got some face carbon fiber overlay but you can remove it with a bit of work. It might not be the same p/n as yours but I’m sure it will work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 2

Forum statistics

Threads