E85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never could get the ethanol percentage to change. I'm on the second tank of 89 now and still reads 74.9%... my brother has another Bluetooth OBD2 adapter I am going to try and see if it makes Amy difference.

Haven't bothered checking fuel mileage yet as I have no way of verifying ethanol content so I figured I would wait a few tanks.

Did you try deleting the pids or whatever they're called and activating it again?

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried E85 in my 12 Denali with the 6.2L.
first
I will preface this with: We tried E85 in my wife's newer Impala, and the fuel mileage dropped enough that it simply wasn't worth running it. Cost more per mile.
I did drop about 2 mpg on the Denali, but the numbers very much favor the E85 per mile cost in this vehicle. So I'm going to run it. It does seem to run better on E85, and the octane requirements on the 6.2L are higher anyhow. So compared to high octane, it's a no brainer.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried E85 in my 12 Denali with the 6.2L.
first
I will preface this with: We tried E85 in my wife's newer Impala, and the fuel mileage dropped enough that it simply wasn't worth running it. Cost more per mile.
I did drop about 2 mpg on the Denali, but the numbers very much favor the E85 per mile cost in this vehicle. So I'm going to run it. It does seem to run better on E85, and the octane requirements on the 6.2L are higher anyhow. So compared to high octane, it's a no brainer.

It may drop a little more on the second tank as the alcohol content heads into the 70 percentile range. Right now you're probably in the 50s. But it'll feel even more spirited!

I tried to get my daughter to try it in her Impala but she doesn't understand how it might save her money no matter how many times we've tried to explain it to her. LOL

How many cents a mile is it costing you where you live Ben? I was running between .17 and .19 cents a mile until my wife started driving it. It's probably a buck a mile right now! She says she likes how it sounds and the pickup! I'd be afraid to see her behind the wheel of one like yours! Dale Jr, move over, here comes my wife!

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you download all the GM specific ones?
Click the gear
Click settings
Click manage extra PID/sensor
Click the menu top right
Click predefined set
Select Pontiac GM Opal

Thanks...that allows a few more pids lol.
Oil pressure/temp, Trans temp, knock counts a few others.

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may drop a little more on the second tank as the alcohol content heads into the 70 percentile range. Right now you're probably in the 50s. But it'll feel even more spirited!

I tried to get my daughter to try it in her Impala but she doesn't understand how it might save her money no matter how many times we've tried to explain it to her. LOL

How many cents a mile is it costing you where you live Ben? I was running between .17 and .19 cents a mile until my wife started driving it. It's probably a buck a mile right now! She says she likes how it sounds and the pickup! I'd be afraid to see her behind the wheel of one like yours! Dale Jr, move over, here comes my wife!

I seem to be around $0.15 per mile on the e85, and about $0.19 cents per mile on higher octane gasoline. This is mostly country driving, and of course this is estimated off of numbers I have right now. Higher octane fuels around here shot up about the time I bought this truck. LOL.
Seems like if I am running e85 anyhow, I should just get a tune.....or a turbo. :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Randy runs E85 too most of the time. Speaking of, hey Randy, where do you buy your E85? I might need to fill up down there tomorrow.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I filled up today with 89 octane at $2.789.

It was sooooo tempting to fill up with E85 @ $2.139... a $0.65 difference would have equalled $17.48 in savings on today's fill up.

But I want to get some good MPG numbers on the 89 and then I will go back to E85 most likely.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
? I have the flex fuel sensor installed at the rail and wired to ecm. Input needs to be changed in tune.

No where close to jupiter to e85 up, turnpike wpb or on congress a few lights south of Northlake there's a racetrac with it < just found out about it a few days ago, probably closest to me

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No where close to jupiter to e85 up, turnpike wpb or on congress a few lights south of Northlake there's a racetrac with it < just found out about it a few days ago, probably closest to me

Thanks! I know there's a Sunoco out west near 441 and Okeechobee I think and there used to be a Racetrac on Lantana Road and I-95 selling it. Turnpike Shell stations will be more convenient, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645