E3 sparkplugs, anyone tried them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score
You talk about gaping, on a ordinary plug the ground overhang but here it's exposed. All sparks always take the easy way to unload, but here on the E3 it's must go straigh forward and unload it against the edges around the opening.

How can you need a gap then?
I am no way a expert so can absolutely be wrong.

The test was performed under unload/load and putted in to a motorhome so think the Project Farm did a good job cover the test fair.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different gaps for different applications was what I was inferring. Again, going back to the golden days there was a huge difference in the heat/spark from a plug gapped at .45 and .60. The E3 plugs have to depend on manufacturing specs, which we all know is not what it used to be. The cast a plug with a perfect gap I think would be near impossible. You will only get one surface to conduct the spark so I see no reason to have 3 surfaces. I might be wrong. ACDelco can be gapped if needed, you just have to be careful unlike older plugs. I would never use copper even on a bet.

Tim

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score
Different gaps for different applications was what I was inferring. Again, going back to the golden days there was a huge difference in the heat/spark from a plug gapped at .45 and .60. The E3 plugs have to depend on manufacturing specs, which we all know is not what it used to be. The cast a plug with a perfect gap I think would be near impossible. You will only get one surface to conduct the spark so I see no reason to have 3 surfaces. I might be wrong. ACDelco can be gapped if needed, you just have to be careful unlike older plugs. I would never use copper even on a bet.

Tim
You have some good points, something that's pop up in my head that can be good by have a fixed gap are it never open the gap up like all regular pugs do after a while.
Sadly I can't find them over here, otherwise I would by just one and check it out for real.

Buy 8 and see they are totally useless aren't ideal.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many tests done on NGK vs Denso. Main difference is Denso electrode tip is tapered more. There is a slight overall percentage gain in power when new for Denso, however that gain disappears with x mileage and performs at a lower level than the NGK. Tuner tricks for turboed Japanese racers.
I don't know if E3 is similar in testing to these.
NGK and AC seem to easily go 40000+ miles in old engines. Hope this helps.

black1970

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Put them in my 07 Tahoe. Started missing on no. 3 after less than 10,000 miles. Replaced with Autolite. Put 2 in my zero turn Cub Cadet Tank. Started missing in less than 1 season. Don’t buy them-all hype.

bjohnson1102

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi.

Did watch Project Farm, he did test some sparkplugs and seems like the E3 are interesting.

Have anyone tried them on a LS based engine?
If they are so good as the test maybe those plugs on combination with the E10 would be a hit, even go for more procent Ethanol?

Now the question was the plug's but that would definitely be some benefits with better spark, on any quality Gasoline.
I actually just took them out of my 04 Tahoe. I bought the Tahoe last spring, it's had a rough idle and sometimes poor acceleration at the start. I didn't know that E3 were in there until I started the replacement. Used the Delco as recommended by GM and now the Tahoe runs smooth as can be. So there you go, I'm not a fan of the E3.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tim
It’s still the “golden days” for a vast array of plugs that are designed to be gapped like the NGK coppers my supercharged LQ4 uses. It doesn’t like any of the iridiums and such. Nothing wrong with coppers, they just don’t last as long as the others. The iridiums and such are stated to be pre-gapped and not meant to be messed with due to the fragile electrodes although they can be gapped, carefully. I have always checked the iridiums I buy for my other truck and have found one or two over the years that were off. If you drop one or get one that’s been hit you can gap it if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia