DYI'er from the start !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nice upgrade to your seat, and to the brakes! LOL No more packin' those wheel bearings by hand.

You beat me to both things you pointed out. I remember when the bearing pack tool came out that sat on top of the grease tub and all you did was pump a handle to push grease in the bearing. I used one time and went back to the gob of grease in the palm and push/cram the grease into the bearing as you turned it in your hand method. I trusted it more. I don't miss prying off and tapping back, the grease cap on the hub.

That cinder block would have left non removable dents in my ass, sitting on the open edges of it. Those holes in the block are perfectly spaced for one ass cheek per opening. Been ages since I did brake shoe work. I think there is rust on my hold down spring and return spring tools. At least I see the primary and secondary shoes are in the correct positions, unlike I saw sometimes when DIY'ers brought their vehicles in for inspection.

Plus, that 4 way lug nut removal tool was something I was glad to see go.

I see the one piece coveralls are still around though. I have two sets. They are beat up and stitched up but I will never throw them away.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Started holding the 'drop light' and ******** tools for my dad to working on my own '66 GTO and '69 442 to 50 years later still doing brake jobs on my 2013 Tahoe.View attachment 266640 View attachment 266641

If I remember right, wasn't that a Firestone bias ply tire that had the red stripe? My dad had a set on our 65 Pontiac LeMans that I think were called Wide "O" Ovals.

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice upgrade to your seat, and to the brakes! LOL No more packin' those wheel bearings by hand.
You are not kidding there. When I lived in the apartment , the cinder block was the only thing I could find to set on , the complex mgr looked the other way when I started working on my car, ha. Disc Brakes are one of the best things to happen.

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, wasn't that a Firestone bias ply tire that had the red stripe? My dad had a set on our 65 Pontiac LeMans that I think were called Wide "O" Ovals.
Yes on the 'red striped' I cannot remember if they were Firestones but that sounds right. They came std on the '66 Goat and the 442. It was great growing up in '60s. But it was also great getting fuel injection , disc brakes and electronic ignition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy