Dumb exhaust cutout question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Thought a certain amount of back pressure was good?

I've heard to big/free flowing of an exhaust moves the powerband higher. Basically less torque but more hp

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
L

Lsnoob13

Reaction score

I've heard to big/free flowing of an exhaust moves the powerband higher. Basically less torque but more hp

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
Its not so much a performance mod, yeah it frees up a little pony or two but not much. Its more for fun and showoff kinda thing. Gives your truck a "split personality" so to speak. Im going to be running 50 series flowmaster. They are made for mid tone not much above a stock sound. That way i dont make the kids go deaf but cutouts for when im alone di**ing around lol. Its the dad mobile after all lol

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

For more stock like engines yeah there are a ton of theories on back pressure. For anything that's being force fed boost I would say less restriction is better.

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reason im asking is because ive read a bit about true dual exhaust and all that jazz and that it changes the sound because the exhaust pulses merge and bounce off eachother and i figured the same concept would apply to the cutouts. 2 vs 1 and all that. I have a stage 2 truck cam and the reason i got it was because of low end torque and the notorious "choppy cam" sound so having the cutouts work against that bugs me lol idk im just being picky i guess lol

Do you have any videos or sound clips of it?

OP
OP
L

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
Do you have any videos or sound clips of it?
Yes i do have one of when it was running, i mean it still runs but its passing oil thru ring in cylinder 8. So right now its at the shop being "upgraded" with a TSP forged rotating assembly but its been delayed with the whole "rona" shit. BUUUUT yes the video shows of when i first got it running after all the upgrades except for the TSP parts. Needs to be tuned so im assuming it will quiet down a bit and thats why im so cautious about the cutouts. I love the sound its making now so im trying to keep as much of it as possible. Here is the video...

OP
OP
L

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
Is there a way i can upload a video on here? Its not letting me.

OP
OP
L

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
Sounds great!!!
Thanks, i know it will tone down the chopiness after i tune it, its probably runing really rich but hopefully not too much. I also hope the single cutout doesnt change the sound. Thats why i made the post to see if anyone had experienced any difference. Hopefully it will be up and running soon again lol.