Dual Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyinghigh54

Reaction score
I want to add another battery to my 2001 yukon. Where is the best place to put the extra and how do I connect it?

I have heard if you connect two 12 volt batteries then the voltage will double to 24 and ruin your electrical system. This true?

And I need to fix another problem is how to connect my amp properly to my battery... I have side post as i'm sure many of you all do to but I just kinda stick the wire on the bolt that is sticking out haha. I know this sounds sketch but even when I go offroading it seems to stay on. I can simply pull it off in a second though.

Thanks for the advice

If you have any links where i could educate myself on dual batterys that would be sweet

brasskey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In a 2001 Yukon you already have a place for a battery mount. All you have to do is get the proper bracket and bolts. I don't remember how much they were but it was only $10-15 for all the parts. Just go to a GM dealer and they can tell you what parts you need. The location for the extra battery is on the passenger side closest to the dash. Below I'll post some pictures to give you a better idea. There are many way to setup dual batteries. I went with a National Luna kit (http://www.nationalluna.com/DIY.htm) but upgraded the battery cables to a lower gauge. The way I have them set up is in parallel. That is, everything runs off my main battery still but I have the second battery connected to it (through a solenoid) and it stays charged through the alternator also. If my main battery ever dies, I can run the batteries in parallel for a jump start. Also, running in parallel helps if I'm using my winch for an extended period of time.

If you are going to go the dual battery route, I would suggest properly connecting your amp. I would get a battery with top posts so you can connect multiple power leads (see last picture). But, I know I've seen special L-shaped brackets that screw into the side terminal and curve over onto the top of the battery for accessories connections. I can't find a picture of one right now though.

SNC13612.gif

SNC13614.gif

SNC13611.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyinghigh54

flyinghigh54

Reaction score
I know what you mean by the second battery mounting area, but in my engine bay that spot is being used by the smog pump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas