Dual Battery, Under the hood... For OFFROAD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryangt

double team supreme
Reaction score
Ok, so im in australia.... Dual Battery setups are all the rage here, they power all the offroad goodies i need, hi power offroad lights, communication radios, and my fridge for deep bush camping. I was curious....... does anyone know of a good way to fit in a second full sized battery?? UNDER the hood????

I was toying with the idea of cutting my K&N FIPK setup near the tensioner pulley and moving the air cleaner to the back of the engine bay... near the passenger side wheel well.... that would leave the same ammount of space as where the normal battery is up front...........anyone done this?

im not crazy about cutting up an expensive intake system, but if need be.... i will.

JoeOmerta

Reaction score
I put a second battery under the hood. These vehicles can come with dual batteries from the factory. There's a battery tray and everything. One problem i ran into was i couldn't find a deep cycle battery that will fit in the 2nd location so i went with a normal battery. There's a writeup somewhere on here...

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's a link: http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=2321

here's one from this forum
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7778

In a 2001 Yukon you already have a place for a battery mount. All you have to do is get the proper bracket and bolts. I don't remember how much they were but it was only $10-15 for all the parts. Just go to a GM dealer and they can tell you what parts you need. The location for the extra battery is on the passenger side closest to the dash. Below I'll post some pictures to give you a better idea. There are many way to setup dual batteries. I went with a National Luna kit (http://www.nationalluna.com/DIY.htm) but upgraded the battery cables to a lower gauge. The way I have them set up is in parallel. That is, everything runs off my main battery still but I have the second battery connected to it (through a solenoid) and it stays charged through the alternator also. If my main battery ever dies, I can run the batteries in parallel for a jump start. Also, running in parallel helps if I'm using my winch for an extended period of time.

If you are going to go the dual battery route, I would suggest properly connecting your amp. I would get a battery with top posts so you can connect multiple power leads (see last picture). But, I know I've seen special L-shaped brackets that screw into the side terminal and curve over onto the top of the battery for accessories connections. I can't find a picture of one right now though.
links to the pics were dead

OP
OP
ryangt

ryangt

double team supreme
Reaction score
yeah i noticed that being the only really open spot under the hood..... it just doesnt seem like i would be able to fit another full size optima under there. My main batter now is a big yellow topper, id like to fit a second under the hood.

Thanks for the link, I think i will put the battery where the air cleaner went.......its big enough for a full size battery, and honestly..... the air cleaner moving to the back of the engine bay might be good... I tend to get the front end wet alot, at least the battery i can semi weather proof.

thanks again guys

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSC03403.jpg

I bought the second battry tray from th dealerhip..cost is about $23.i also nstalled it with the dual battery kit from painless wiring..the second battery fits perfectly.

nice

so,
you took out that brace in the rear passenger corner?
is that not important?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz