DRL issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorCalBryan

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just replaced the passenger side DRL on my Suburban. It worked for about two weeks, and now it's out again. When I knock on the light assembly, it comes back on...It did the same thing before I replaced the bulb, but I thought it was a bad filament.

When I pulled the old bulb out, the plastic around the socket area looked burnt. What is causing the problem here? I assume that it must be fairly common, because on 90% of all 2000-06 Tahoes/Suburbans/Yukons/Sierras/Silverados that I see on the road have at least one of the DRL's burnt out.

What can I do to make them work? I know some will suggest to just pull them out, but I like the look when they're both working.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you using a hotter bulb? i just yanked the fuse to mine...i hate the DRLs

steven johnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
voltage spike. replace with led's . why your at it replace all the other lites ( drl,parking,tail , puddle lights, and all inside lamps ) they look a lot better. Hid's for your headlights.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the contacts are clean(both the bulb and socket) and are making good contact.....if not they will get hot and eventually short out ;)

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
voltage spike. replace with led's . why your at it replace all the other lites ( drl,parking,tail , puddle lights, and all inside lamps ) they look a lot better. Hid's for your headlights.

Steve has the right idea. It's the voltage spike that keeps killing the bulb. If you're not interested in LEDs, get 4114 bulbs. It's the same size as the bulb there now, but it's rated to a higher voltage so the spike doesn't cause premature wear.

mmeachem

Reaction score
Maybe you got 3157 instead of 4114 bulb

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TheYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon kept doing this even with the LED bulbs, ended up having to replace the drl sockets havent had an issue since. Almost every gm dealer keeps them in stock they run about 20 a socket.

mmeachem

Reaction score
Maybe it's a 4114 but a higher wattage check where you bought it from Also do you have a picture of them

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada