Drivetrain noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes these sounds can be really hard to pin down, if you are going to try and pinpoint it then you might want a set of chassis ears
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steelman-E...348224?hash=item3b532a3fc0:g:8bUAAOSwPbBfymbG
these trucks have a tendency to "throw sound" I have had mine up on 4 jack stands in 4wd in gear running and got under it and swore up and down the sound was coming from the transmission but nope it was the rear end.

Took the words right outta my keyboard!

OP
OP
G

Gerbil21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*bump* any ideas?

Noise is on acceleration mainly and also changes with suspension movement, can hear it quiet and louden going over lumps in the road while acceleration and turning right

Also chasis ears is ordered

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, I am assuming you have yet to inspect for some of the options we threw out there? Had a shop look at it yet? Fluid condition? Checked hub bearings?

OP
OP
G

Gerbil21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I am assuming you have yet to inspect for some of the options we threw out there? Had a shop look at it yet? Fluid condition? Checked hub bearings?

It's been hard to do much working 2 jobs each 12hrs and with all the snow still around in nyc, (don't have a driveway), front wheel hubs are good, front diff fluid from the fist time I've checked it was good as well, I do need to check front and rear diff fluids again However just don't have time. I'll see if I can poss go to a cleared parking lot and get under to check the fluids again

OP
OP
G

Gerbil21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also haven't been to a shop yet either, don't trust allot of the shops around me and most other places are expensive for even basics rather at least be on the right track myself first which is why I got the chassis ears as recommended

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It may still be worth it to have a shop inspect it ONLY. Should not be more than $75 to $100 to do so and make sure they document what they found and say the problem is.

OP
OP
G

Gerbil21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm getting a bit closer, pulled the rear diff fill plug and found this pretty glitter, def am gunna have to pull the cover soon, can the carrier bearings cause the noise on turns?VideoCapture_20201224-202437.jpg VideoCapture_20201224-202453.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ys they can but I would lean toward the axle bearings. Makes no difference either way though, IMO, when the noise starts and shavings are floating in the fluid, all bearings are suspect and the surfaces of all gears are as well. When the work is done the inside of that housing needs cleaned out really good. Those axle tubes will have shavings in them as well that will mix again with the new fluid if you don't clean them out.

OP
OP
G

Gerbil21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ys they can but I would lean toward the axle bearings. Makes no difference either way though, IMO, when the noise starts and shavings are floating in the fluid, all bearings are suspect and the surfaces of all gears are as well. When the work is done the inside of that housing needs cleaned out really good. Those axle tubes will have shavings in them as well that will mix again with the new fluid if you don't clean them out.

Yea it def needs a thorough going through but at least I can narrow the problem down some what, hopefully I'll have a clear answer when the cover is off, I know I did have pinion noise prior but it was minor and have def drove other trucks with it much worse, idk why it would just go bad so sudden.

Also I suspect the fluid is much worse, what I could touch was kind of low which was surprising however it was also sitting for a day so I suspect what was suspended in the fluid is def by far less than what's settled in the bottom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout